Vintage 1000 rides for 2021

Started by Rick Bennett, January 05, 2021, 09:33:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Bennett

It's that time of year when there isn't much going on that I miss being able to ride my Pentons. Just before Christmas I signed up for yet another adventure. End of May the Western 1000 leaves from Flagstaff AZ and winds its way into New Mexico. Another five day 1000 mile trip on 1981 and older machines on as much dirt as possible put on by Speed Deluxe. Having never been to the southwestern part of our great country, it was an easy decision. Now, I have to decide which one of John's sportcycles gets to play in the Wild West. A few years back I was lucky enough to pick up a 71 Steel Tanker from "The Hammer", Mr. Paul Danik. If I can find a way to get a title for this machine, it would be a fun choice. Anyone out that way want to join me?

Don Roth

Rick,
There are a few folks that will enable you to title on bill of sale and proof of insurance, most run through Maine , see motorcyclenow..com, have used with good results, not free, but as they say "no such thing as a free lunch" avoid international  title service. Basically they issue you a plate and  enable your bike to be registered using that.
-don

jay cohen

Many guys have had great luck going through Vermont to get titles.

Rick Bennett

I have been too busy at my job to be able to work on my own projects this winter. My steel tanker has not been touched an the ride is now six weeks out. The V1000 has been moved from Arizona to Utah because of COVID restrictions at the camp sites. We are now starting near Salt Lake City and heading east. This may come down to the wire. I have my two 74 machines in reserve if needed.

Rick Bennett

I leave on May 20 for Utah. I will be taking my 71 steel tanker this year. No, it is not done. The frame is painted and swing arm and forks back on. I finished the motor last night. The wheels are apart. This machine had a tough life. Rear frame hoop and left foot peg mount had been torn off and poorly repaired. The fuel tank had a half pound of rust and varnish inside. The cap was rusted through. I was surprised how heavy the frame is compared to the CMF bikes. I just went to see Al, just to make sure he can eat this week. What would we do without him.
More later...

Daniel P. McEntee

Well, if there is anyone that can get it ready in time it's you! That ;last adventure where you went to leave and the engine seized on your way out of town r something like that. Some one came and got you, pulled engine, split cases, rebuilt crank, reassembled the engine, reassembled bike all before midnight the same day!! Or something like that wasn't it!! Good luck to you on this ride and stay a=safe!! I'll be watching for your reports.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

Pat Oshaughnessy

Rick You will be surprised how O.H.V. friendly the State of Utah is.I went there last year & was very happy with the visit. They also allow open carry Firearms. You can buy Ammo. over the counter no problem.[:p]

Rick Bennett

V4621 is progressing nicely after working on it all weekend. I rebuilt another 6b motor for this ride. I will put the 5a back in later. The wheels are back together. I cleaned and painted the spokes and used some swap meet Akront rims. The motor is back in the frame and seat recovered. Off to a cycle shop this morning to buy a couple rim locks and kill switch. I still have to make a new pipe bracket and aluminum chain guide.  Also wiring and lights.
 Adam pre rode the route in Utah and some of the trail is still blocked with snow. Temps are ranging from 30F to 90F. We are advised to bring layers of clothes and a way to carry water.
I should be riding in a couple days.

Richard Colahan

Rick, re: Utah weather...on a solo 9 day D/S trip in September 2018, it was 104 when I entered the north end of Arches NP on my way to Moab. Nice the next day on the White Rim trail. Then 31* and snow flurries the next day departing Moab up over Lockhart Pass. I had the benefit of a modern bike with 12 volts to power my heated bib! So...layer up and be prepared for those significant variations! Good luck Rick!
Quotequote:Originally posted by Rick Bennett

V4621 is progressing nicely after working on it all weekend. I rebuilt another 6b motor for this ride. I will put the 5a back in later. The wheels are back together. I cleaned and painted the spokes and used some swap meet Akront rims. The motor is back in the frame and seat recovered. Off to a cycle shop this morning to buy a couple rim locks and kill switch. I still have to make a new pipe bracket and aluminum chain guide.  Also wiring and lights.
 Adam pre rode the route in Utah and some of the trail is still blocked with snow. Temps are ranging from 30F to 90F. We are advised to bring layers of clothes and a way to carry water.
I should be riding in a couple days.

Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA
Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA