1971 Penton 6 Day

Started by fullchoke, August 26, 2021, 12:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slvrbrdfxr

Hello fullchoke and welcome back to the message board. You'll find lots of helpful folks here on the website with a great wealth of information. Your early CMF bike is a nice find and a keeper for sure. These 1971 built CMF bikes had a few unique features that eventually went away as the bikes got into the 1972 builds. These unique features were slightly more narrow triple clamps on the 32mm forks, rear shocks with chrome covers at the top and a Sachs 5A engine. I see from the pictures you posted that your bike does still have the narrow triple clamps on the forks. Does it still have the 5A engine and the rear shocks with the chrome covers at the top ? I'm just finishing up a restoration on a Sept 1971 built CMF 125 Six Day which has been a nice project. I ran across a very early serial number CMF 125 Six Day bike while at VMD at Mid Ohio in July. That bike had a serial number of 10650181 and I really wanted to take it home despite the poor condition. I wasn't able to strike a deal with the seller and so went home without it. I'm hoping some other POG member was able to make a deal and take it home. Those original rubber taillight holders can be very hard to find. You might consider buying  sheet of corded rubber and cutting out a replacement taillight holder by using your original one as a template. Once again welcome and good luck with your bike !
Dave McCullough

fullchoke

Hi Dave,
This bike doesn't have covers on the rear shocks, they are all black, and leaking. The engine is a Type 1251/6a. It looks original to the bike, possibly a change over was made between yours and mine. Somebody might know about when changes were made. I will try to post some pictures soon of these 2 things, and include the engine numbers, which are probably useful.

Thanks

Tom Penton

Greg, Sorry you didn't get the word. It was somewhat an informal get together word of the mouth thing. It wasn't to replace Athena, just to get by until after Covid, sure hope next year.

Tom Penton
Tom Penton

fullchoke

Tom, Not to replace Athena of course, but it would be fun to have a campout in the fall, say at one of the OHV sites where everyone could bring their Hodaka's, and other vintage bikes like Penton, and ride for a weekend. Whip Up, Elk Flats, and I think one other, are not far from Yamhill. I don't know how much interest others have, but I like riding a vintage bike, and looking at what others ride too. I really like the ridden bikes. I never knew anyone that would buy a bike off the showroom floor and take it riding that way. We always put on Preston Petty fenders, took off, or modified the exhaust, and sometimes if it was a street bike we did a lot more than that. Just a thought.
Greg

fullchoke

Back to the bike....here are those pictures of the engine numbers, and shock. I tried to find out what should be there from pictures, and other data, but there is some conflicting info out there. Hope the pictures help, but the bottom line on those engine numbers are small and difficult to focus on. My eyes tell me Type 1251/6a. The rest is visible. I can try again if needed.
Thanks
https://imgur.com/a/TZ2rXFt

fullchoke

Thanks Bob for sending all that great info on the enduro kit. I will post some pictures when I get the bike completed and rideable. You convinced me to join POG. I will be sending in my application.