57 Motorcycles Stolen

Started by Mike OReilly, October 23, 2021, 08:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike OReilly

KTM Canada has reported that on Sunday, October 17th thieves targeted a warehouse located in Chambly, QC (a suburb of Montreal). They removed a total of 57 motorcycles - KTM, Husqvarna, and Gas Gas. The theft has been reported to all KTM dealers along with the related VIN's.

Do not expect to see any of these bikes at a dealer near you. Montreal is the centre of organized criminal gangs. They usually target high end SUV's - Lexus, Toyota, Nissan. In my city (Ottawa, ON, Canada) they stole 200 last year, out of driveways late at night using technology that allow them to unlock and start the vehicle remotely. These are destined for the Port of Montreal, for export to the Middle East and Eastern Europe. It is likely that the stolen bikes are destined to follow the same route.

The interesting thing which I did not know until recently, courtesy of a friend who is a KTM dealer, is that the new bikes cannot be started When a dealer gets a bike; they assemble it, put on the floor and wait for a buyer. When it gets sold, they have to hook it up to a KTM program called XC2 which flashes the ECU, allows the bike to run, records the date, the purchaser information. In addition, whoever financed the "floor plan", will expect to be paid for the bike.

I am posting this simply as an FYI for POG members. How much the world has changed, for better or for worse. Nobody can deny that today's bikes are far beyond what any of us could have imagined "back in the day". On the other hand, "back in the day" Penton Imports would drive their own Kenworths to Baltimore and warehouse the bikes in Amherst or Lorain. These days all of that is handled by "logistic companies" and he bikes may never get close the distributors location.

There were thieves then and thieves now and always will be. The magnitude of this "heist" is stunning and a good lesson. Technology has made the world a better place, but also a more dangerous place. We must not let our guard down against those who prioritize stealing from others, as opposed to: Foresight, Hard work, Perseverance and Caring for people (the touchstones of the John Penton legacy).

So to all fellow POG'rs, stay safe, stay well and stay vigilant.

Mike