75 250 shocks

Started by Jeff Anthony, March 25, 2001, 10:15:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Anthony

What is the hot set-up (and be AHRMA legal)for replacement rear shocks for my 75 250.I  see a lot of bikes with Works Performance shocks. Any ideas? What length is kosher? Thanks!

Chris Brown

Yes Jeff, the Works Performance are the hot setup. They are the highest quality best working solution. All of the Pentons used 13.5" shocks, (70's models anyway) and if you provide your bike model, your weight and intended riding use, they will match spring rates for you. The only draw back is their cost. A definate plus is they are rebuildable, in fact if you blow out the seals you can send them back and they will rebuild them for you for nominal fee. The only way to go if your are going to race.

If you are just trailriding or using the bike for show, there are alternatives. Progressive is one, not near the product as WP, but a decent substitute. Not rebuildable. You blow 'em, you trash 'em. Saves about a $100.
Matt of Speed and Sport offers NJB, which I understand is a decendent of the Girlings, a good substitute, and a good value. Don't know if they're rebuildable.
And there's Legend Cycles that offer a vintage shock for $100. Don't know how good they are though. Probably okay for light use or show.
I had WP on my Jackpiner, worked flawlessly. Have Bilstiens on the 400 that came with it. Although the bike was trashed, the shocks were still good and I'm still riding the h_ll of out them.
Will probably put the NJB's on my Six Days project.

Chris

Mike Lenz

Jeff, I recomend 15 inch shocks if you run them in the "AHRMA" position,all the way back on the swingarm. You get more shaft travel with a 15 inch shock which helps and it pulls the forks in the same as if you were running 13.5 shocks in the lay down position which helps that baby turn like a M***o.

Gavin Housh

Jeff. I'm also using 15in. Works Perf. mounted all the way back. To be AHRMA legal you need to add a lot of spacers. Why they let us ride a 75 model bike in 74 and before events I'll never know, but I don't ask any questions and they keep letting me ride. Having the long shocks makes the bike steer a bit quicker, but Im still looking for a way to bring the front end in. I'm thinking of modifying some 73 Bultaco triple clamps to bring the fork tubes closer to the steering tube.

LINDEMAN

I also used longer shocks 141/4 in the far rear position.They worked good but I think it could be better.I have a set of the double pinch bolt top and bottom 32mm penton ceriani clamps being bored to 35mm.They Have less offset and are thicker in that area than some of the 35,s. I will give a report after I test. If you don,t see a reply within a month. It it probably wasn,t a good idea!

Mike Lenz

GAVIN & lINDEMAN SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT COUPLE IDEAS! keep us informed! Also try the little Hi-Point alum tank. You can get up on it quite farther. So far that I now wish the footpegs and rear brake were farther forward!