2022 AHRMA Mid Atlantic XC Series

Started by Richard Colahan, February 12, 2022, 04:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Colahan

The 2022 AHRMA Mid Atlantic Region Cross Country Series kicks off on 4/10 at Three Springs PA.
10 race series, 6 best finishes qualifies the racer for an end-of-year award.
This is the best, fastest growing Vintage XC series in the country...again this year with 3 races for bikes up to 1999.
AA Class for the hot shoes...and women and novices can ride all 3 races if they wish.
Even Bob Close loves our events!!!

Note that the MAR will also host a 6 event MX/Grass Track Series this year.

Full details on the PVR Web site:
https://www.pvrclub.org/cross_country
Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA

Paul Danik

Hi Richard,

I was curious to know what exactly is meant by MX / Grass Track ? I think I know, but best to get the answer from someone who most certainly knows. Possibly an explanation is somewhere on the PVR website or flyer, but I didn't see it.

You folks do an incredible job with your race series and year end banquet.

Thanks,
Paul

Richard Colahan

Well...since I just do the XC it's a bit out of my area...but I'll try

AHRMA has asked our MA Region group, led by Dave Kutskel, to add some Vintage friendly MX races to the "natural terrain" XC race venues that we use.
As an example, at the Ashcraft Farm XC race near Bellefonte PA.
For a few years the MA and NE Regions have been also holding a grass-track type Vintage / PV MX race on Saturday that has been VERY well received. No man-made killer jumps or whoops. Just rolling terrain...one older rider told me it reminded him of Unadilla...but Unadilla back in the early 70's!
As noted on the PVR web site: "Vintage friendly grass tracks and some old-school MX tracks with jumps appropriate for short travel Vintage bikes".
A good example of an old-school MX track would be Shady Acres in Friendsville Md.

Quite a few of the XC racers are making these 2 day weekend events now.
Some bringing an additional Vintage PV MX bike...some just racing their XC bike.
Conversely, it's hoped that many Vintage PV Mx racers will stick around and try their hand at an XC race.

It will be interesting to see how well it goes.
Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA

Paul Danik

Thanks Richard, I appreciate your explanation. Several of the ISDT Reunion Rides I have attended have had grass track final special tests and they were a blast to ride. At the southern Ohio event that Steve Barber and his crew put on a number of years ago, Steve asked for some help with the layout of the grass track course when the gent who usually always did the layout was not able to attend. We had fun laying out the grass track making use of the gentle slopes of the large field, we incorporated an uphill start to get the riders spaced out a little before the tight right hand first turn. Incorporating numerous twists and turns and only having one higher speed back stretch kept the risk factor to a reasonable level and everyone seemed very pleased with the layout. When the layout was completed, one gent did question the tightness of a few of the turns so I asked ISDT vet and good friend Dane Leimbach to give his thoughts on the layout. After spending some time evaluating the layout Dane give it a "thumbs up" and that laid the gents concerns to rest.

The last special test of the 1973 ISDT was a grass track event and someday I might try to find it's location and give that spot a visit, probably a housing plan or strip mall by now.

I might have to drive over the mountains from Mars and check out one of your grass track events this year.

Thanks again for your reply,
Paul

Richard Colahan

Being an Enduro (now Vintage XC) racer I'm used to the woods.

But I've got to say there were two "Grass Track" MX races that I've done that were just so "big grin on your face" fun.

One was the grass track test at the 2003 Reunion ride at Jim Hoelerich's.
The second was at McKee's Sky Ranch in WV.

Common thread? Both were laid out by the late Dick Mann.

So...At Ashcraft Farm, Reynlow and White Rose...that is what we are aiming for.
At Irish Valley and Shady Acres...both existing MX tracks...the goal will be Vintage friendly versions of their tracks.

It would be great to see you at some of our events again!

Richard
Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA

Carl Hill

Hey Richard. We have an MX/XC facility here in WV that also has a golf course! They host a round of the Full Gas Sprint Enduro series every year and let them use the golf course as part of the track. Check out Hidden Valley Sprint Enduro on you tube. I have spoken to the owner and he is receptive to the idea of hosting vintage events. It's been a while since we have had an AHRMA race in WV. Sure would be nice to have one again.