plastic tank sealer

Started by skiracer, April 27, 2022, 01:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skiracer

I have a plastic tank on another brand bike, and I am having problems sealing the petcock to the tank.  I used a Permatix gasket material that is suppose to work with gas.  I put it on 6 months ago, and now it is starting to leak. 

Anyone have success with some other brand of sealer?
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

slvrbrdfxr

Skiracer,
I have used Caswells fuel tank sealant with success on a couple plastic tanks before. It's a 2 part epoxy based product that dries to be semi transparent. It adheres pretty good to plastic cleaned with acetone or lacquer thinner. I believe it comes in a one pint can with an 8oz catalyst so you can mix small amounts at a time. Caswells has a website that you can find with a google search. The website has some good info about their product.

You might also consider using a commercial aviation fuel tank sealant like PR1422 B 1/2. This sealant is also a two part product which has a 30 min work time and cures completely in 24hr to a dark brown finish. The PR 1422 adheres to any clean surface and I have used it many times with good success. I suggest buying it in a 6oz Semkit so it can be mixed directly in the tube it comes in. Search for it on eBay and Amazon.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your project.
Dave McCullough

skiracer

Hey Dave, Thanks for the response.  I guess I was not clear in what I am looking for.  I am not looking to seal the inside of the tank.  I am looking for a sealer to seal the petcock to the tank (on the outside of the tank.)  Thanks again for the info!
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

ALB

On the KTM plastic tanks there is an o-ring on the bottom of the petcock which seals the petcock to the gas tank if 2 screws are used to secure the petcock to the tank. A new o-ring should do the trick unless there is a crack in the plastic tank.
Alan Buehner

skiracer

Thanks Al!  It's a new tank so it shouldn't be cracked.  I'll check to o-ring.  I appreciate it!

Quote from: ALB on April 29, 2022, 08:21:01 AM
On the KTM plastic tanks there is an o-ring on the bottom of the petcock which seals the petcock to the gas tank if 2 screws are used to secure the petcock to the tank. A new o-ring should do the trick unless there is a crack in the plastic tank.
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

Daniel P. McEntee

Quote from: skiracer on April 30, 2022, 07:26:35 AM
Thanks Al!  It's a new tank so it shouldn't be cracked.  I'll check to o-ring.  I appreciate it!

Quote from: ALB on April 29, 2022, 08:21:01 AM

I would be willing to bet that is the problem, and even replacing the O-ring with a god old fashioned thick cork gasket may work. Easy stuff to find and easy to make.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

skiracer

Thanks again Dan!  I will let you know how it turns out.
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

skiracer

As a follow up, Al had it right.  I had a rubber washer as the seal, and it cracked, so the gas was leaking out.  Put in a new o-ring, problem solved!  Thanks for help guys!
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa