VMD thanks

Started by Mike OReilly, July 27, 2022, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike OReilly

I first raced at Mid-Ohio in 1998 through about 2005. Then my focus shifted to Canadian events closer to home.

Back again this year to start to thin out my collection and enjoy the more relaxed pace of spectating without the demands of racing. Still a pretty intense weekend, 11 hours Thursday, 12 hours home Sunday and Disneyland for vintage bike lovers in between.

I was left with the impression that the turnout this year surprised even the AMA. Probably 20K people, every one of them bringing a pit bike and occupying all of the Mid-Ohio grounds. And of course the annual Mid-Ohio deluge which turns it from a dust bowl to a mud bowl.

It was a great time re-connecting with old acquaintances and making new ones. Special thanks to the McCulloughs from Tulsa who hosted me in their swap meet spot. Al Buehner, of course who has been there through POG/VMD thick and thin all these years. And of course Dale...what can you say? My wife wondered if I brought enough food...I sent her pictures of the POG diner and assured her that all was well. We cannot begin to say enough about Al & Dales contribution over the years.

Also Rick Bennett, AKA Mr. 1000 miler looking dapper in his new "El Presidente" shirt. Many thanks on behalf of all Penton enthusiasts for stepping up. Rick was there before I got there Thursday, setting up, he was there all day Friday in the heat and the dust, and he was there Saturday when he got a little relief from Scott Brogan. Also great to see Jim Borer who was at Ricks side most of the time.

Many thanks to all of you for your interest, your efforts and your hospitality.

Finally my MC5 found a new home. Delivered on the way home Sunday to Bill Pearce near Buffalo, NY. Bill has a collection and is the brother of Bob Pearce, ISDT vet and currently a KTM exec in Amherst. They know "Fast" Frank Stacey, also from the Buffalo area. The Penton history was dominated by off-road success, but Stacey was one of the first to put Penton/KTM onto the podium in the motocross arena when there were very few of them on motocross tracks.

All in all a great time. I look forward to re-connecting with friends in the future...maybe at a quieter, less hectic venue?

Mike