Headlight Grounding

Started by skiracer, June 04, 2023, 09:26:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skiracer

How do I ground this headlight that only has two posts?
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

slvrbrdfxr

Skiracer,
This looks to be a 4411 bulb that are typically used in a Preston Petty headlight mask assembly. I usually attach the wires to these bulbs using small diameter ring type solderless connectors. Attach power wire from stator or voltage regulator to either of the headlight terminals and then attach a ground wire to the other headlight terminal. I've been attaching the other end of the ground wire to the bottom of upper triple clamp at one of the handlebar clamp bolts using the same ring type solderless connector. Seems to work pretty well there and is hidden behind the headlight mask assembly. Make sure you remove paint on the triple clamp at whatever bolt you choose to make the ground. Hope this helps. Good luck !
Dave McC

skiracer

Thanks Dave!  Yes it is a 4411 bulb and yes it is going in a PP mask. I appreciate the help.

Quote from: slvrbrdfxr on June 04, 2023, 10:54:50 AMSkiracer,
This looks to be a 4411 bulb that are typically used in a Preston Petty headlight mask assembly. I usually attach the wires to these bulbs using small diameter ring type solderless connectors. Attach power wire from stator or voltage regulator to either of the headlight terminals and then attach a ground wire to the other headlight terminal. I've been attaching the other end of the ground wire to the bottom of upper triple clamp at one of the handlebar clamp bolts using the same ring type solderless connector. Seems to work pretty well there and is hidden behind the headlight mask assembly. Make sure you remove paint on the triple clamp at whatever bolt you choose to make the ground. Hope this helps. Good luck !
Dave McC
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

slvrbrdfxr

Glad I could help you out. This subject is fresh in my mind because I just recently finished wiring up a couple new PP headlight masks and PP enduro rear fenders w/taillights on a 75 Jackpiner and 75 250 Harescrambler I'm building. I forgot to mention that I also wired in an inexpensive handlebar switch on both bikes to turn the lights on/off as needed. Last few days I've been searching for a decent looking 4411 LED bulb to replace the 4411 incandescent bulbs that come in the new PP headlight masks. Figured having the LED headlight and taillight would be much less taxing on the stator. I'll let you know if I find something worthwhile.
Dave McC

KJDonovan

Dave,

Paul at Preston Petty has these that fit the PP number plates and have the same look as the incandescent sealed beams. https://www.prestonpettyproducts.com/Headlight-LED-sealed-beam-unit-12v-35w-p/719341leda.htm  Really bright too!

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

skiracer

Thanks Dave!  I am putting a toggle switch on the back of the mask.  With these type of connectors on the bulb, did you do anything to cover the connectors to protect them from water?

Quote from: slvrbrdfxr on June 04, 2023, 07:18:44 PMGlad I could help you out. This subject is fresh in my mind because I just recently finished wiring up a couple new PP headlight masks and PP enduro rear fenders w/taillights on a 75 Jackpiner and 75 250 Harescrambler I'm building. I forgot to mention that I also wired in an inexpensive handlebar switch on both bikes to turn the lights on/off as needed. Last few days I've been searching for a decent looking 4411 LED bulb to replace the 4411 incandescent bulbs that come in the new PP headlight masks. Figured having the LED headlight and taillight would be much less taxing on the stator. I'll let you know if I find something worthwhile.
Dave McC
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

slvrbrdfxr

Skiracer,
I didn't do anything special when making the connections to the headlight bulb other than a little dielectric grease on the connectors. Thanks for the link Kevin. I hadn't thought about looking at the PP website to see if they offered an LED bulb to fit their headlight mask.
Dave McC