How did you register your Penton?

Started by skiracer, February 07, 2024, 10:26:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skiracer

If you have registered your bike, could you share how you did it? I am looking to plate a 77 GS to to take to Europe this year, and I am having a hard time finding a viable path forward. Any help would be greatly appreciated. You can respond here or email me. Thanks!
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

Hank

Hello James. I have never done this but I've read many posts by others who say that registration in Vermont is doable and transfers easily to other states. Again, I have never done this. I hope someone more knowledgeable than I can provide some information. Hank

skiracer

Hank, Vermont closed that process last year. Thanks for the reply

quote author=Hank link=msg=109248 date=1707358160]
Hello James. I have never done this but I've read many posts by others who say that registration in Vermont is doable and transfers easily to other states. Again, I have never done this. I hope someone more knowledgeable than I can provide some information. Hank
[/quote]
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

Rob Thatcher

I have it done through Vermont, but it did end.  It was awesome for bikes like I had with a messed up title. I've also heard South Dakota has a process, similar to what Vermont used to do. There is also a guy who can get a Tennessee title with a bill of sale and VIN pictures for $400 according to my local vintage group.

skiracer

Rob,
Can you follow up with getting the name of the guy you are talking about?  You can email me directly at; [email protected].  I would really appreciate it. 

Quote from: Rob Thatcher on February 08, 2024, 01:44:42 PMI have it done through Vermont, but it did end.  It was awesome for bikes like I had with a messed up title. I've also heard South Dakota has a process, similar to what Vermont used to do. There is also a guy who can get a Tennessee title with a bill of sale and VIN pictures for $400 according to my local vintage group.
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

Rdway60

Done this half a dozen times. It works
1976 MC5 250

KJDonovan

James, 

Interesting topic as it seems different states erect various artificial hurdles for us to clear.  I know you're in Florida and I'm in RI, but the rules here are as follows.

Option 1 - To register a vintage bike purchased from a private seller you must have a bill of sale and title OR a bill of sale and a copy of the last registration for the bike.  The challenge in RI is that the state did not issue titles before 1974.

Option 2- To register a vintage bike purchased from a dealership you are only required to have a bill of sale from that dealership. I don't know why the requirement for a title is different from dealers than private sellers, but it is.

Option 3- You purchased a vintage bike/car from a private seller, and you have a bill of sale but no title.  Here you also have the option of filing a Tax Exemption Certificate in lieu of title.  The state's premise is that because you do not have the title to prove sales tax was paid on the vehicle when it was new, they will establish the current taxable value and after paying that amount you are allowed to register the vehicle.

So, a couple of times in the past to wiggle around the hurdle in option 1 I have reached out to a dealership owned by an acquaintance to provide me with a bill of sale from the dealership for the bike I already owned.  Using this I had no troubles at the DMV. 

I am currently in the process of trying Option 3 for a couple of other bikes, remains to be seen how much I have to pay for these.

My recommendation to you is to reach out to whomever your State Representative is, these folks field questions like these all the time and I am guessing there are workarounds in Florida too.

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

Rob Thatcher

It is Joe Casola, Saints Engine/Title Service in Chattanooga, TN.  The phone number is 614.886.9544 and the website is https://www.saintsengine.com/

The reason for the 614 area code is that he is from the Cbus area orginally

skiracer

Thanks for all the info Kevin, well appreciated!  And Happy Birthday too!

Quote from: KJDonovan on February 09, 2024, 07:12:25 AMJames, 

Interesting topic as it seems different states erect various artificial hurdles for us to clear.  I know you're in Florida and I'm in RI, but the rules here are as follows.

Option 1 - To register a vintage bike purchased from a private seller you must have a bill of sale and title OR a bill of sale and a copy of the last registration for the bike.  The challenge in RI is that the state did not issue titles before 1974.

Option 2- To register a vintage bike purchased from a dealership you are only required to have a bill of sale from that dealership. I don't know why the requirement for a title is different from dealers than private sellers, but it is.

Option 3- You purchased a vintage bike/car from a private seller, and you have a bill of sale but no title.  Here you also have the option of filing a Tax Exemption Certificate in lieu of title.  The state's premise is that because you do not have the title to prove sales tax was paid on the vehicle when it was new, they will establish the current taxable value and after paying that amount you are allowed to register the vehicle.

So, a couple of times in the past to wiggle around the hurdle in option 1 I have reached out to a dealership owned by an acquaintance to provide me with a bill of sale from the dealership for the bike I already owned.  Using this I had no troubles at the DMV. 

I am currently in the process of trying Option 3 for a couple of other bikes, remains to be seen how much I have to pay for these.

My recommendation to you is to reach out to whomever your State Representative is, these folks field questions like these all the time and I am guessing there are workarounds in Florida too.

Thanks,

Kevin

1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

skiracer

Thanks Rob!  I will check it out.

Quote from: Rob Thatcher on February 09, 2024, 11:30:36 AMIt is Joe Casola, Saints Engine/Title Service in Chattanooga, TN.  The phone number is 614.886.9544 and the website is https://www.saintsengine.com/

The reason for the 614 area code is that he is from the Cbus area orginally
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa