Mikuni tuning for Jackpiner

Started by OhioTed, July 10, 2024, 07:41:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OhioTed

Hey, all.  Have a freshly rebuilt '73 Jackpiner w/new electronic ignition and a fresh, 26mm Mikuni.  With jetting as supplied with the carb, bike is a reluctant starter and tries to load up.  Once in operation, it feels both lean and rich - if that makes any sense.  Comes on decently if I "ease" into the throttle but will bog if throttle is opened abruptly.  Plus, although I did not go flyin' down the road to test top end, bike does appear to break up some at higher revs. 
Note, there is no intake restriction but I've not yet opened the exhaust to see if it is plugged up.  Regardless, to save me digging through umpteen zillion pages of info on Mikuni tuning for everything from mopeds to TZ750's, does anyone have suggestions for what Pilot/Main Jets work will with this Jackpiner/26mm combo?

Doug Knight

I've only used 30 and 32mm Mikuni's. The standard on a '73 was a 30mm Bing. You may find you might be running out of air at top end.

Rob Hugo

I would like to second the request for help on this topic. Is there anyone that has enough knowledge to help write some sort of guide?

My '73 has a 34mm Mikuni and it seems to run ok, but have not taken it out for a hard ride since installing it. When I was going searching this message board on the topic, it seemed most people were running 32mm versions. Doug may be on to something.
Rob Hugo
Tumwater, WA

73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner

KJDonovan

Ted,

I have run this on a couple of Jack Piners and it works fine.

Mikuni VM30 round slide
Main Jet 170
Pilot Jet 40
Needle Jet P-5
Jet Needle 6F5
Slide 2.5
Air Jet 2.0
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

OhioTed

Great thanks for responses, in particular Kevin's most in-depth specs.  Please forgive my inquiry slip - carb on bike in question is indeed a 30mm, not a 26. 
I will pull carb apart today and compare what's there to info provided.