Off Topic - DKW Sachs

Started by Rob Hugo, July 01, 2024, 02:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Hugo

Sorry about a non Penton post here, but you guys are my only connection to vintage dirt bikes. I picked up this DKW thinking I might be able to use parts from the engine if I ever found a steel tanker project. It has just been taking up space in my garage. Does anyone know of someone out in the NW who might want a rusty DKW? Are they bikes that normally anyone would want? Am I better off pulling the motor and scrapping it?

Any and all thoughts are appreciated.
Rob Hugo
Tumwater, WA

73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner

slvrbrdfxr

Rob,
Nice find and if it were closer to Oklahoma I'd be interested in taking it off your hands. I have the same bike in the Boondocker Enduro version with lights and title. Yours looks to be pretty complete and so if you put it on the Vintage Sachs/DKW Buy/Sell FB page I'm sure someone in the NW US would have interest. These make a nice project with the biggest issue when it comes to restoration is the wheel bearings. These pre 1972 Sachs/DKW bikes use a "cup and cone" type wheel bearing front and rear similar to a bicycle. The 72 and later bikes have hubs which use a sealed ball bearing. The problem is the bearing cups/cones are always rusty and pitted and the replacement parts are nowhere to be found. The best remedy to get good working wheel bearing on these early bikes is to find and install 1972 and later front swingarm/hubs/brake backing plates/axles/chain adjusters and etc as a retrofit. Not an impossible task but takes some time to gather all the correct parts. If you rob the engine out of it I still think you'll be able to sell the rolling chassis. I sold a rolling chassis pretty easily at Mid Ohio a couple years ago and the buyer was very happy to get it. Good Luck !
Dave McCullough

Rob Hugo

Thanks, Dave!

Your bike looks nice! I had not seen that Facebook group, but will check it out. Would love to find someone that would appreciate it.
Rob Hugo
Tumwater, WA

73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner