What does GS stand for?

Started by tlanders, November 19, 2002, 08:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tlanders

MX is obvious, but what does GS stand for?
Teddy

Gary Brinton

tlanders

OK, what does gelande stand for?

tlanders

My wife Rosemary is German and she says it means land or terrain and if it was Gelandelauf with an umlaut over the first a then it means a cross country race. Now I'm worried about what MX stands for?????

veelab

Gelände means cross-country.

Doug Wilford

Ted;    Hmmmm I wonder about you.  Evidently you never did any GS, TT races.  These were real common after most of our old motorcycle club meetings.    "Gravel Spitting, Tavern to Tavern" races.  (chuckle)

tlanders

Thanks Doug!!! I never had the joy of being in a motorcycle club until now. I guess the POG is a club? No wait a minute, it's a group. Before I put up my 1971 Six Day Penton in 1972, I never did street riding for pleasure, I had street bikes, but they were simply for transportation. It started in 1958 when I was 16 with a 1952 150cc NSU. With gas at $0.22/gallon and riding a 150cc bike, I had more money left over after gas expenses than my friends did in their 1948 milled flat head V8 Fords that were raked, chopped and channeled. In addition, my car was a 1951 MGTD ($700), also a gas miser and it could go around corners also!!! I also bought a 1954 flat head 6 Plymouth that had a good heater and radio for $70. I used it when the MG wouldn't run which was too often. I understand all the funny tee shirts about Lucas electrical systems!!! My mom couldn't understand why I wanted a car I was under more than I was in!!! After that the street bikes included a 1958 Triumph Bonneville, a 195? R27 250cc BMW, and a 196? X6 Susuki Hustler. In my mid 20's I discovered scrambles racing. I lived in Ann Arbor, Michigan. First scrambles bike was a used Honda S90. Then I got a new 200cc Bultaco Serpa S which I loved and raced for a couple years. In 1968 I bought the first Yamaha DT1 250 Enduro imported into the state of Michigan. I loved that bike and it turned me on to the world of enduros. Then in 1970/71 I decided that I would rather run enduros than run scrambles and bought the best enduro bike on the market, the six Day Penton. I ran the Bershire Two Day International, the Jack Pine, the Fallen Timbers, and many other enduros in 1971. I moved to Missouri in 1972 and put the Penton in a barn where it sat until 2000,the year of the Penton, when I timidly brought it to Mid Ohio and met all you wonderful Poggers for the first time. So there were no clubs and I totally lost track of anything to do with motorcycles for 28 years. Will my defense for not knowing what GS stands for hold up?
Teddy

Doug Wilford

Pretty good defense I guess, for not knowing GS,  Useing the same line of thought.   How do you get MX out of Moto-Cross or Motor Cross.   Geez, I did not think the necklaces that alot of religious people wear were called Xs'.  Like: "That is a real nice "X" you're wearing".   Or better yet: " That is a nice "X" you have".   HE! HE!

tlanders

What I hate is when they take Christ out of Christmas and call it "xmas"!!!! I quess if you took a Christian cross and turned it 45 degrees it would look somewhat like an "X".

clayman

Ted, I had no idea what GS stood for, either. Also- It's good to see someone else that gets upset when "xmas" is used. I can't stand it when I see that term used because Christmas is very meaningful to me, as is Christ our Savior.
Three cheers!
Clay

Dwight Rudder

Gelande Sport = Enduro

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
7 time National Enduro Class Champion.

mpandzik

"GS" (at least the way BMW uses it) stands for Gelande-Strasse (which in German means meadow-street) -- the perfect "shorthand" description of a dual-purpose motorcycle!