titles?

Started by tomale, December 13, 2002, 11:19:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomale

I have been looking for a bike for my son to learn on and I keep coming up with ads that say that the bike in question has no title. what is it about vintage and post vintage bikes that titles are a problem?

I raced my 76 MC5 in the early 70 but just now getting backe into riding again.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Mick Milakovic

Tomale,
Titles are not a problem unless you intend to run some enduros.  For those you need a street-legal machine and therefore a title is necessary to get a license plate.  If you intend to run enduros and want to buy a bike with no title then you have some options:
1. Get a statement of origin from the past owner.  This can be done through an original sales receipt or other original documentation.
2. Get a salvage title through your local police.  I have done this and most of the time they are helpful enough.  They just want to make sure the bike isn't stolen.
I hope this helps.  Anyway, always get a receipt anytime you buy/sell a bike.

Mick Milakovic
Delphi, IN
Mick

tomale

thanks Mick, I guess that if the bike is on the up and up then I should be able to get some kind of documentation. That would be nice. The last thing I need is to be involved with anything shady, since I am a pastor and I need to be extra careful to stay on the right side of the law. Besides that I think that it is bad for all of us who ride bikes to support those who aren.t willing to play by the rules. It makes us all look bad. there are already plenty of those who think we are all pond scum, Not true

I raced my 76 MC5 in the early 70 but just now getting backe into riding again.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W