rare 77 mc-5

Started by Mike Lenz, December 11, 2002, 09:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Lenz

There is a rare mc-5 on ebay under ktm. It just says VIN #### or something like that. It is a 77 that has duel mount footpeg positions. I have one of these that I have restored for the Historic class. Basically you can position the foot pegs where the 76 mc-5 pegs were [rear and high] or lower and farther forward where the pegs on the 78 mc-5's were, which I, for one, like much better. Plus its neat to have a little more rare bike and you can impress your friends [espically non Penton riders] with your "factory" Penton, get it? Anyway I thought Id bring it up in case anyones interested.

TomG

I was wondering about that dual footpeg thing.  I bought a '77 parts bike off of e-bay about six months ago and when it arrived it had the same dual footpeg arrangement.  I wasn't aware of that frame style. I have a '76 MC5 I bought new and a '78 I bought off e-bay and neither have the dual footpeg setup.  The other difference I've noticed is that my '76 does not have a motor mount bracket on the frame under the engine while the '77 and '78 do.  Any idea when and why this was added?  There is a hole through the cases on the '76 but no mount or bolt to go through it.

mad max

I would also like to know about the lower engine mount bolt as I have a 1974 with one a 1975 without and a 1975 high breather with & 1977 with ? MAX.

Mike Lenz

Tom, Thats strange, my 77 duel footpegger does NOT have a center lower moter mount on the frame. In fact I have never seen any 76 or 77 mc-5 with one. Maybe someone thought there should be one and made it? The 76 and 77 mc-5 are the only ones to not have come with a mount on the frame there with that engine that Im aware of. Apperently KTM didnt think one was needed there with that frame design.

Rocket

My 77 175 GS6 does not have the motor mount bolt under the motor either,
Rocket

TomG

Mike, I don't know for sure if the '77 is an MC or GS model, it does have the same shape gas tank as my '76 as well as no loop on the rear frame section over the fender so I've assumed it is the MX version. In fact, the frame looks identical to the '76 except for the lower motor mount brackets and the dual footpegs. The pipe is the same also.  It didn't have side panels or airbox so can't say what those may have been.  The motor mount brackets look factory, they look exactly like the ones on the '78.  Is there a definitive way to tell if this is a GS or MC, S/N or something?

Mike Lenz

The 77 GS model was a frame breather with a very large frame backbone where the frame breathed.