1979 KTM 175

Started by Frenfroe, December 17, 2002, 09:34:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frenfroe

What does anyone know about a 1979 KTM 175 engine?

I saw someone on a late '77, I think at the Reunion Ride. It had a different type head and cylinder with a reed. The head looked a lot like a Hercules as I remember. He said it made more power and was real smooth compared to the earlier ones (mine's a ported and reeded '76).

Anyway there's a bottom end and cylinder on ebay now. Are heads available? If it was reeded the assembly is gone. How about their availabilty? Was the bore and stroke the same? Are they any good?
Thanks, Frank

sachsmx

KTM never built a reed valve 175. It must have been an aftermarket reed assembly (GEM?) or a home made set-up. KTM built a 125 a/c reed valved engine in 1980. It had a case reed AND piston port intake similar to Suzuki RM models.

Mike Lenz

They did change the top ends in 77 I believe. went with a shorter cyl and piston. Not sure if it will bolt on a older engine but the cranks were the same.

john durrill

Mike ,
 it bolts right on. angle on the exhaust flange is different and smaller than the earlier 175's . intake is a bit different . but one of our members from down under did it and used the older intake, pipe and exhaust flange. it works fine for him.
 we used that cylinder on our 175 conversion because it was lighter , shorter and used pistons that were easier to find.
base gasket area is a bit different but it will work.
John

Frenfroe

Thanks for the replies. Anyone ridden one of these later bikes? Any difference in power characteristics? Would a regular pipe work on this cylinder?
Frank

Rocket

Frenfroe
I have a 77 GS6 175 with the new style cylindar.  I have not ridden it very much, but it feels a lot stronger than the old style motors.  I think it would be a better motor for racing than the old style.
Rocket