Curnutt Shock Info.

Started by MLewand, December 27, 2002, 08:38:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MLewand

Hi,
Just purchased a 73 Penton 125 with a great looking set of Curnutt shocks on it. To keep within a low budget I plan to use them on this bike. The bike will mainly be used for trail riding. Iv'e disassembled the shocks for cleaning and will put in new fluid. Does anyone know what would be a good starting point as for oil wt. in these shocks? Also, they were mounted on the bike with the body side of the shock mounted to the frame and the shaft end mounted to swingarm. Is this the correct mounting? I,ve looked through several old M/C mags for info on these and the few bikes I saw with Curnutt shocks in the mags had them mounted in a conventional manner. Thnaks for any help you can provide.
Mike

Mike L.
Mike L.

Rocket

Mike
I had Curnutt's back in the 70's and if I remember correctly, they recommended using ATF in them for oil. I rebuilt a pair not too long ago and used medium weight shock fluid.  either one would probably be okay.  The shock I had mounted the body on the swingarm, but the later Curnutt's with the aluminum cooling rings on the body can be mounted with the body up from what I have seen.  I may have some literature from Curnutt, I'll start looking.
Rocket

clayman

Parts and info are still available from Curnutt!!!! I was told that they are still open, although I'm not sure if Charles Curnutt still is at the helm. Somewhere in So. Calif. is what I have heard. I spoke with someone who ordered a rebuild kit directly from Curnutt a couple of years ago.

MLewand

Hi,
Thanks to all for all the info. The article on the web site that Bob linked to is excellent. It has all the info you would ever need on Curnutt shocks. Anyone who uses these should check it out.
Thanks again,
Mike

Mike L.
Mike L.

AndyL

All,
The number for Chas. Curnutt in the Gas-it-n-go article is a non working number.  I tracked Charlie Curnutt down and ended up leaving him a voice mail. If I hear back from him I will inquire about the availability of the shocks (I run a 13.5" set on one Hodaka and a 14.5 set on another.) and let you all know.

Andy
Andy
#14u
MOVMX, AMA, AHRMA

Dwight Rudder

I don't believe you can run Curnutt shocks inverted. I really don't know why you would want to. I know that it is supposed to reduce sprung weight but on Vintage short travel bikes it isn't enough difference to tell. PLUS you will raise center of gravity by putting weight up high.  I want my vintage bikes to look of the period and if you invert gas shocks and mount them it looks weird and out of place.
Cher'o,

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
7 time National Enduro Class Champion.

AndyL

I just got off the phone with Charlie Curnutt.  Nice guy, very friendly.  

I summary, he does not have anymore twin shocks or parts.  But he said that the rebuild info was correct and that they are easy to rebuild.  All he builds now are mono-shocks for pee wee bikes.  

He also added that Works shocks where the way to go for a vintage bike.

Andy
Andy
#14u
MOVMX, AMA, AHRMA

AndyL

I just got off the phone with Charlie Curnutt.  Nice guy, very friendly.  

I summary, he does not have anymore twin shocks or parts.  But he said that the rebuild info was correct and that they are easy to rebuild.  All he builds now are mono-shocks for pee wee bikes.  

He also added that Works shocks where the way to go for a vintage bike.

Andy
Andy
#14u
MOVMX, AMA, AHRMA