Wiring Woes

Started by scooterdude, January 02, 2003, 06:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scooterdude

I know I'm not an idiot ( at least I think I'm not)but I still can't get this !@#$ kill switch hooked up. With good advice from some of you gurus I was told to run it to the opposite of the blue wire on the batch plug. I did that and still had spark when pressed. So I ran another wire to ground on coil,then no spark even when not pressed. Man, I've got the nicest 78 mc5 400 and can't play with it. After owning over 25 bikes it's mandatory before cranking to install a kill button after a yz400 almost killed me and everything around me a couple of years ago. I've hooked up several in the past,single wire and double wire but this thing has me stumped. All I want
 to do is fire this beauty up,can someone please help this pathetic moron out?
Thanks,
Jeff

Tom Gougeon

Do you have spark if the switch is disconnected from the blue wire, but yet "grounded". If you do, the switch is shorted closed, it should be normaly open. Is there a short to the frame somewhere in the wiring?
According the wiring diagram I have, the blue wire on the coil is the correct wire that should go to the kill switch. Did you disconnect it from the terminal block? It has to remain connected to the motoplat as well.
Where did you "ground" the switch? I would use one of the two hex bolts that secure the coil to frame.

Rocket

The blue wire that runs to the coil usually has 2 wires at the female spade terminal, the bigger terminal on the coil.  I've wired the kill button directly to the blue wire that comes off of the female spade.  Do it that way or go through the terminal block, either way should work.  Sounds like possibly your kill button is not grounding out when pressed.  To test this, run a ground wire from the kill button to the engine or back to the coil mounting bracket and try it.
Rocket

Tom Gougeon

Do you have spark if the switch is disconnected from the blue wire, but yet "grounded". If you do, the switch is shorted closed, it should be normaly open. Is there a short to the frame somewhere in the wiring?
According the wiring diagram I have, the blue wire on the coil is the correct wire that should go to the kill switch. Did you disconnect it from the terminal block? It has to remain connected to the motoplat as well.
Where did you "ground" the switch? I would use one of the two hex bolts that secure the coil to frame.

Rocket

The blue wire that runs to the coil usually has 2 wires at the female spade terminal, the bigger terminal on the coil.  I've wired the kill button directly to the blue wire that comes off of the female spade.  Do it that way or go through the terminal block, either way should work.  Sounds like possibly your kill button is not grounding out when pressed.  To test this, run a ground wire from the kill button to the engine or back to the coil mounting bracket and try it.
Rocket