tank plugging problems

Started by tomale, January 20, 2003, 06:52:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomale

I cleaned out my fiberglass tank a couple of weeks ago. the fuel cocks were plugged up with what looked like oil. I would have thought that the oil would have stayed mixed in the gas but it must have seperated from sitting. There had been gas in the tank for quite awhile,so I thought that must have been the reason. I had problems again on sat. when I took the tank off again I found the same problem. I pulled the valve off and it was coated with oil. which brings me to my question. Should there not be a brass pipe or some kind of filter inside the tank. on my 76'KTM? The tank side of the valve has two holes, one for fuel and one for the reserve. both feed off the bottom of the tank, which is why it would plug up so quickly. The other question is could it have something to do with the oil that I am using. I have been using Golden Spectro which I had been told was the new name for Hipoint 2 stroke oil is this right. what would be a better oil to use. Has anyone else been having such problems I can see why I was having problems before but it has only been a few weeks since I cleaned it last and I have been using fresh gas which I mix seperatly in a gas can,but there has been alittle left in the tank. Is the cold wheather be a contributing factor? I keep my bike inside but it does get pretty cold in there 35-40%. Any ideas?

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Russ B

If the it is Castor-based, the oil will separate out below about 40 degrees. I use Maxima 927 and have this problem in the winter.  I always drain the tank after a ride on my 2-stroke flattrackers, and the petcocks never gum. A fresh tank of gas every ride always seems to work for me. If it sits and gets cold, I do have to remove and drain the carb if I don't run it dry as I can though.

tomale

The bottle says "Golden Spectro is  a modern synthetic blend that surpasses the lubrication and protection ability of Petroleum oils" If it is not a petroleum based oil and it has some kind of synthetic blend to it, it must be a castor base with additives to increase it film strenght etc. It seems to smell like that not the petroleum based stuff. I do not like switching oils I would rather stick to one brand but it looks like I will have to be more careful about putting fresh gas in it each time I ride. Would going to a pure synthetic oil be better especially for winter time?

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W