Tank Mung????

Started by Russ B, January 20, 2003, 06:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ B

I recently pulled my Mom's 125 Six-Days out of storage after 20 years. The problem I have now is that the tank apparently was full of gas from the last itme it was ridden. Now there is a layer of semi-liquid mung/sludge/whatever all in the bottom of the tank. Mineral spirits doesn't reall dissolve it very well, and gasoline has little effect. Any suggestions on how to get it out without harming the fiberglass or the finish on it?
THANKS!

Russ B

NO SUGGESTIONS???? Surely I'm not the only one to ever find a bike with 20-year-old gas in the tank!

Richard

I've used a pressure washer to clean the tank out. The main drawback is it will take several days to dry out even at room temperature. Don't try higher heat as it can crack the gel coat of the tank and any solvent strong enought to remove the sludge (mek) will also desolve the fiberglass resin.

tomale

How much sludge is in there? inch thick two inches? can you scrape part of it?
You might want to consider an after market tank. I know that is hard to swallow but, if the gas has been in there for such a long time it could have damaged the tank. make sure you inspect that tank carefully. I have been having the same sort of problem, though not nearly as severe. The only that is going to work as I have been told is to drain the tank and bowl each time I ride..... Not much fun. I experienced the oil seperating from the gas only after one week. good luck

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

SCOTT CURTIS

I have placed nuts and bolts in tanks along with gasoline or a carb cleaner and then shook it.  To some degree it will loosen the gunk on the bottom.  Then I installed a clear plastic fuel line filter which I can inspect.  I haven't had any problems so far.

tomale

Scott, I am glad that you have had no problems, I have been using an clear in line filter, well lets just same a really long time. This did not stop my pitcocks from plugging up with seperated oil. Little did I know that at temp. below 40 degrees will cause the oil to seperate. In the winter time I must now be careful to drain not just the bowl but also the tank lest I pluggth up thine tank. I liked the idea of using some bolts in the tank to help clean out any residue. I might try that and see if I have any gunk in the bottom of the tank. No way of telling for sure.

74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Russ B

Tom, I know how you feel about cold weather being a PITA... I answered your post on another thread. Here's the drill I use for the flattrackers I have. Immediately after the races I drain the tank. Then I fire up the bike and let it run until the gas in the bowl clears.  Any oil htat's left over usually isn't enough to cuase the bike not to run the next time. The excess oil that's left in there will clear out pretty quickly when the tank is refilled. Not a major deal if you follow a similar routine and don't let the bike sit with gas in it.

tomale

What is PITA? I live on left coast... I think we must speak different language.:)

74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Mark Annan

PITA = Pain In The Ass

tomale

Ahh....  It is just such a new twist on an old problem...... for me anyway. Now I know what real dirt bikers deal with every winter in Penton land. See I told everyone I needed to be brought up to speed.

74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

tomale

Quotequote:
How much sludge is in there? inch thick two inches? can you scrape part of it?
You might want to consider an after market tank. I know that is hard to swallow but, if the gas has been in there for such a long time it could have damaged the tank. make sure you inspect that tank carefully. I have been having the same sort of problem, though not nearly as severe. The long time solution is to drain the tank and bowl each time I ride..... Not much fun. I experienced the oil seperating from the gas only after one week. good luck

74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

75Penton250

Russ,
I had great luck cleaning out a rusty steel tank using 2 cartons of Daisy BB's and about 8 ounces of Naval Jelly.  I had to keep shaking and turning it until my arms nearly fell off but the tank was shiny inside when I finished.  I rinsed it out with hot soapy water followed by clean water followed by a pint of rubbing alcohol to absorb most of the remaining moisture.  It served me well for 17 years - never a problem with more rust, flaking, or clogging the fine filter screen built into the petcock.  You could try the BB's in your fiberglass tank and use a fiberglass-friendly solvent in place of the Navel Jelly.  Maybe one of the new citrus-based degreasers would dissolve that spooge in your tank.  The BB's did a good job of getting in the smaller areas of my steel tank, and I'm sure they wouldn't harm fiberglass.  Don't forget to remove the petcock and plug the hole!
Todd