SHIFT LEVER QUESTION

Started by crash carden, January 30, 2003, 12:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crash carden

Hello, My ouestion is will a shift lever from a 73 250 Penton work on my 72 175 Penton? Also what is the shift shaft size of a 72 175 KTM black motor? I looked in the parts manual,found part # but no size. Thanks Crash Carden.

Kip Kern

Yes, and No.  Yes, if both share the 14mm shift shaft (I think that measurement is correct) No, if the shaft diameters are different.  Also, I usually have to sort through my shifter collection to match them to engines as each are "tweaked" different to clear the outer case.  If you have a very late "73" 250, it could possibly have the later clutch cover on it, the one used with the larger shift shaft!  You just have to sort and try.  One thing for certain, you can't ever have too many "72-75" KTM shifters no matter what they fit!

crash carden

Thanks for the information Kip. I met a good friend of yours about two weeks ago,Forest Stahl. I had him resleve my 175 cylinder,he did a great job. HE also had some good stores about John Penton and the good o'l days. He put the coffee pot on and we did a little bench racing. He had alot of good tips on dirtbikes. He also mentioned your name and spoke highly of you and your knowledge of Pentons.What a great guy,he makes you like a friend. Thanks again Crash.

Rocket

I believe all of the shift shafts were the same 14mm from 72 on up, maybe a little diferent bend when they went to the newer style clutch cover.  The only difference that I have seen is in the kicker shaft size, 14mm and 17mm.  You can also drill out the smaller kicker hole to the larger size if needed.  
Rocket