420 engine cases wanted

Started by sachsmx, March 21, 2003, 10:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sachsmx

Guys, I'm looking for a nice crankcase set for a 1980 KTM 420. I think that the years 1979-1981 will work in the engine sizes of 390, 420, and 495 cc. I'll take a complete engine or bottom end if necessary. I'm not worried about the condition of the crank, tranny, or clutch, but the engine mounts must be in very good condition. Will buy or have parts to trade, etc.

sachsmx

I just got an engine off of Ebay.

sachsmx

Still looking. The engine from ebay turned out to be trashed. I hope I get my money back on this one.

Dr.2Stroke

seems,that the stuff on ebay isnt worth a piece of shit...... i know,parts are cheaper to get there ,but how do one know about quality? i have used cases(also new ones) which are in perfect condition,but they have their prices. i think it will be worth to invest a little more,and then you ll get real good parts,and you dont have to be angry about it.do any POGGERS agree with me? Thanks Dr.2Stroke,  [email protected]

sachsmx

It was an honest mistake on the sellers part. My money has been refunded. Still searching for good used cases or complete engine.

Jeff Reid

I've had good luck selling and buying on eBay. Dr. 2-stroke-I've yet to hear from you after several e-mail requests for parts for my 1980 KTM 420. Sachsmx-I've decided to sell the project before starting so if you need a KTM 420 engine with a frame and wheels attached send me an e-mail at [email protected] I might sell just the engine if you want.

Jeff Reid, VP Ohlins USA, Husqvarna and Penton/KTM collector
Jeff Reid

James

Ouch selling before starting. SACHSMX. I got my bike. It is an 81 with an 83 420 engine. I was not aware that an 83 420 was made until now. Actually I don't know what plastic to replace with as I like the look of the 79-80 better than the 81 plastic. Are any of these items available as reproductions?( plastic for 79-81 KTMs?) E-bay has been good to me so far. I agree to get the best parts you can afford though. Still there are some deals out there-and one of the places with the most vintage mx stuff for sale that I know of on the web. BTW I received my bike Forward Air.Ignorantly, I tried to call the Phoenix office for infromation once I confirmed with # that it had arrived. The Forward Air website states no hrs of operation(at least when I looked at it a few days ago) until you contact customer service. Yes I drove to Phoenix Sunday only to find the closed building. Got to buy some of that two-dollar gas too. I guess since they didn't answer the phone on the weekdays I am not suprised...I will inspect and disassemble bike in few weeks. Than will need parts. Gotta love it. James

I have bike parts in the kitchen cabinets where most people have dishes..
7\\" and 4\\" travel? Hmm-that makes 11\\" Hey! I can live with that.

sachsmx

I've got a set of cases on the way! A dealer friend of mine in Canada has a set for me.
Concerning plastics, I have found no one in the 'states who is reproducing any of the 1979 and later stuff. Dr 2-Stroke has told me that he has both used and new fiberglass repro body parts. I have had very good dealings with the Dr. on some NOS bearings recently. The parts arrived in a reasonable time and at a reasonable price. The bearings were actually cheaper (including the postage) than what my local dealer quoted me for the non-original type bearings available from KTM, which may or may not be as good. The local bearing supply houses were also more expensive, BTW.

Dr.2Stroke

Hello Jeff: im sorry,i checked my eMails,and in fact,i got one from you in the last october,what i didnt answer. i will do it right tomorrow after checking the prices. i get over ten eMail requiries everyday,and so it can happen,that there is one not responsed. im really sorry about that. i guess,when i m having my parts on my website,i will only be writingt answers,and no more time for working....  :)   about the bearings: i thought,that the bearings are cheaper in the states than here in europe,but it doesnt seem to be. I can supply lots of available bearings for top prices,if needed. The NJ 306 ECP,which KTM recommands as an replace for the M 30, i can supply them for about 45$to 50$ for one piece. what is the price in the states for them?