Penton\KTM Special Tools

Started by tofriedel, March 20, 2003, 08:56:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tofriedel

Does anyone have the tools to extract & replace the engine bearings that they would consider loaning or renting to me?  I live in Maryland, USA.

I am replacing all of the engine bearings in my 1981 495, but cannot find a tool to remove & replace the main M30's, primary gear, and the bearing behind the primary gear.

Any suggestions?

Thank You

Tony

Kip Kern

Contact Al Buehner, he may be able to help you out!  216-651-6559

Big Mac

If you find a source for special tools, let us all know. Just got done going down to bear cases on a '73 KTM engine and got all done w/o anything special except unable to come up with a creative bearing insertion tool for reinstalling bearing behind pinion gear (over crank) and nothing to get the inner main races (three-part bearings) off crank.

Finally left the races where they were and found a local shop and vintage guru that wedged the crank webs (to avoid damage) and pressed the new bearing back in over the installed crank. Checked with Al Buehner about tool sources--he had no suggestions. No idea how anyone out there gets this done.

Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

Rocket

To get the inner races off, I use a bearing splitter tool and a small strong back that connects to the bearings splitter.  Warm the inner race with a propane torch and then turn the bolt on the strong back and the race comes right off.  To install race I warm the inner race a little and it will slip right on.  You can warm the cases in an oven for the removal and insertion of the rest of the bearings.  The hardest one is the one behind the pinion on the crank.
Rocket

tlanders

I have found a hair dryer to be the simplest way to heat the cases during bearing removal and insertion. Heating the cases is the most important part of the process, the bearings remove easily after that. I also bought a bearing insertion tool kit from one of those "tool sales in a truck" deals that blows into town every now and then. I forget who they were but the kit was only about $25. Before that I just used sockets and a rubber mallet to tap them in and out. I never have done the inner crank race, left it up to my local bike shop D&S Cycle since he was putting on the new con rod, from Euro-Rod, also. What's a "strong back"? Mine gets tired a lot!!! Ha ha. Teddy