Wheel Offset

Started by Jdbglover, March 14, 2003, 11:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jdbglover

I am sending the front wheel off to be relaced on a 1975 high breather model with the 35mm forks. My question is the wheel laced with the hub centered or is the hub offset? And if the hub is offset, what side and how much? Thanks.

John

john durrill

John ,
 I just did two and I want to say 3/8 of an inch but it could have been 5/8. if your wheel is assembled when you send it to the shop then note that it is off set and have them match what's their.
 They can throw it in the truing stand and get the measurements before they remove the old rim.
 I think Dough knows the exact amount. He was the one that warned me when I was doing our rims.
John D.

Jdbglover

John D.

Thanks I found Doug Wilford's post. Being brain dead I have already disambled the front wheel. Next question is which way is the hub offset, to the right or left?

Thanks Again

John G

Doug Wilford
Advanced Member

USA
281 Posts  Posted - 06/24/2002 :  07:34:56 AM        
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you relace the wheel? If so, you need to redo the job and offset the rim about 5/8".

john durrill

John ,
 its got to be offset to the right as you set on the bike. i had to machine my 32 mm axel so we could use it on my 73 when we put on the 35 mm forks. the backing plate snugs up to the fork slider in the same place  on the 32 's and the 35's so it has to be to the right. send Doug a note to verify that just incase my  memory is slowing down a bit. * GRIN *
John D.

john durrill

john it has to be offset from the left , moved 5/8ths to the right. the 35 mm sliders are large in diameter than the 32's.  un less its so late my mind has shut down totaly.
 :>)
 John D.

Jdbglover

John, thank you very much.

John G.