Looking for Spring

Started by matt weisman, February 04, 2001, 04:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matt weisman

Finally signed up to chat with all of you. Barb and I had a great time attending the Vintage Days West and Mid-Ohio last year and seeing many of you I haven't seen in so many years. Barbs working right now putting photo albums together of all the displays we helped set-up and attended. Looking for spring and thinking about this years upcoming POG events. I should know most of the questions many of you ask for, but it's hard seperating all the years out. I do remember making the green Penton Pennants and do not believe I have one in my collection of Penton stuff. I believe I made them about "72 or "73. Another little item I made was a Penton coin purse. These where green with the Penton logo. John always keep his change in one of these and thought it would be a great promotion piece. We also made one for Husqvarna.

Chris Brown

I would be willing to get coin purses made at cost for the promotion. That's the business the company I work for is in.
I could have shirts made, hats, license frames, mouse pads, key chains, etc.

Will there be a Penton meet at a vintage event(s) in the west?

Chris Brown

Dean531

Matt,  I am the owner of this pennant. You should be proud of yourself, you did a really good job. I came across this a few weeks ago.  this is really neat.

Paul Danik

Matt was also responsable for doing the original Keeping Track newsletters, the Penton Parts books, Penton Manuals, and the Penton advertising. He and his wife Barb, along with their daughter, were also models for the Penton accessory catalog, which they also put together.  Barb also did some of the hand drawn covers on the Keeping Track newsletters. Matt and Barb  also did a tremendous amount of work towards pulling off this past years great displays at Vintage Days east and west.    Paul Danik

matt weisman

Paul, you, Al Beuhner and Doug Wilford did the bulk of the work for the Marquee tent and deserve a big hand of applause for how well the Penton Marquee Tent display came off last year. Do you remember that nice man that came all the way from Mars and brought his own trees and bushes? And how about that guy from Texas that had to hold that stiff- as-a-board look in the Hi-Point display for four days, but still managed to change his hats with out moving his arms! Barb.  P.S. Here is a little story for the history buffs of Penton trivia. One time on the way back from Illinois, in the Penton Cycleliner, I was recuited to drive the bus.  I had no such experience before and was told not to brake or shift gears, just wake someone up when we were almost out of gas.  It was dark and that liner got a whole lot bigger when I sat down at the steering wheel, but all went well on our trip home to Ohio.

Paul Danik

Back in the days before there were VCRs for intravel entertainment, putting a new guy behind the wheel of the cycleliner was the prank of the day. It was the dead of the night and we were heading out west to a qualifier when Jack set the hand throttle, stood up, and said for me to squeeze behind him and grab the wheel.I had just gotten the wheel and released the hand throttle when one of those large signs that states the altitude  and the name of the peak we were on came into view. Next came the signs stating that the next gazillion miles were dangerous and curvey and to exercise caution, someone had already failed to exercise caution as far as I could figure.  Just about then the other guys, who supposedly had been sleeping, all took the best seats available to watch the show. The audience provided plenty of advise as to how the brakes should be used to conserve the air presure. The runaway truck ramps were also pointed out, just what I needed!!! Finally the bottom of the mountain came into view and I could relax, the spectators went back to bed, the show was over. I had apparently passed my CDL test, Cycleliner Driving Lesson.......   One other time I was behind the wheel when we had to go through a town.  The route we were on snaked through the town and made several turns at the lights. As one turn came into view I wanted to gently apply the brakes, my foot cought the end of the little vent door that was next to the brake pedal. As we came to the turn I wheeled to the left, the bus tilted over and some loose objects tumbled to the floor, all the guys grabbed something to hold onto and never said a word.  Finally as we straightened up, Dane said, " Paul is finally getting the hang of driving  this thing".  Thoses were the days my friends!!!!   Paul

Larry Perkins

Paul,

No wonder you guys could corner so fast in the woods.  With all this training equipment while driving those lightweight Pentons must have bulldogged with ease.  I am just curious did the cycleliner corner better with feet on the floor or did hanging the inside one out the window work best as counterbalance.