74 125 TANK ?

Started by Blue_Dog, March 17, 2003, 10:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue_Dog

Says it a ISDT 74. I want one. Is it real?
Ebay Item # 2407177881 .
Thanks,
B_D

rd400pi

Blue Dog,
  As part of my Penton "Self-Education" project, I am reading, looking at pics and asking lots of semi-stupid questions.  One thing I'm finding out is that once you think you've got some aspect of Penton model/years nailed down, along comes some photo or person that will directly contradict your newly acquired "knowledge".  Having made that short speech, here's what I think is true with regards to the fuel tank thing.  The shape of the #2407177881 tank tells me it's the '72-'73 fiberglass model.  The decals should be the 125cc Six Day graphic with a small stripe beneath.  My copy of the official Penton "Lineup for '73" ad shows this.  The long fat stripe on the bottom of this ebay tank looks to be from the '74 and later style tank which is like the Jun01 or Jan03 featured bikes on this website.  The tanks from '74 and newer seem to be a little lower profile.  Now here comes a wrench to screw the whole thing up.  There is a picture floating around (I'll find it and post it later) showing John Penton's '73 bike with the fat stripe!!  Go figure!  Any Poggers that would like to join in this one, please do!

Sign me "Perplexed in Pentonville"

Mike Husted (rd400pi)

rd400pi

I finally found it(starting to sweat).  If you check Al B's Issue#7 Jan'03 of Penton Parts you will see some posters on the bottom of page 26.  The bike in question is Tom Penton's (had wrong name, sorry) '73 ISDT Gold Medal winner.  It has the big stripe.  I guess this makes me ask, was there a special "non stock" type graphics look for the ISDT bikes?  Any of you actual ISDT'rs out there have the answer?  Thanks in advance for the real story.

Mike Husted (rd400pi)
  2 Six Day bombs (73/74)

Rocket

My take on this is, they were riding 74 models in the 73 ISDT.  Product testing you know!
Rocket

Dwight Rudder

this is a 1972-73 tank. They did use some of this style tank early in 1974 but most used the roundish tanks. This is a 1972-73 model because the 1974 tanks had a guide that went around the fuel cap spigot that the spring loaded cables that held the tank on went. The 1972-73 used a leather strap so they didn't need the guide.  It does have the 1974-75 stripe but a lot of folks added those later.
Cher'o,
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
7 time National Enduro Class Champion.

Blue_Dog

Thanks for your help. I missed the tank on the bay. I would like to have a green tank like this. Let me know if you have one.
B_D