35mm Ceriani Forks

Started by SoCal996, March 20, 2003, 08:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCal996

I bought a set of 35mm forks to put on my 125 and have encountered some problems. First the facts: 125 frame manufactured in November of '72, low breather, forks are from a '74 125. From pictures I've seen I believe that the forks are in fact of the '74 vintage.

I have mounted the triple trees to the steering head with no problem. Now here is where I'm getting stuck.

First these forks have tappered tops, should they go all the way to the top of the triple clamp or should there be about a half inch of space? I put the caps on and they tightened down okay, but again I'm not sure about the gap between the top of the fork leg and the top of the triple clamp.

Secondly my bigger problem/question, I have a fender from H&H that should, I believe, mount directly to the lower triple tree. But, if I mount it direct, I don't think it will miss the exhaust. Should there be a spacer to lower the back section of the fender? Or, is the rake different between the '74 and late 72/73 frames?

Finally, the fender really doesn't seem wide enough for the mounting holes in the bottom of the triple clamp, it is visually very close. Just bad perception on my part or it a very close fit?

I'm sure some of you guys have made this modification, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Brian

Rocket

Brian
First the forks, the top triple calmp should also have a taper where the fork tube fits up in to.  If you have that, everything should be okay.
Second, the fender has a mount that goes between the lower triple clamp and the fender.  It also held the speedo cable on the enduro models, it has 4 holes for the fender and a 5th for the cable.  The pipe will be close if you mount the fender to far back, I have used a couple of flat washers between the fender and the mount on the back 2 bolts to tilt the fender somewhat out of the pipes way.
Third, depends on how wide your fender is, the narrow one's will be close.  Al Buehner sells NOS Falks that are wider and they work great.
Rocket

john durrill

Al , also has the little bracket that holds the fender on. its not expensive and you have the same fender we got from H&H. it will work on the 35 mm's if you do what Rocket suggested.
 i think from your description that you have to loosen the pinch bolts in the bottom tripple tree. so the fork tubes can slide up. work them up as far as you can into the top tapered tripple tree. then tighten the top nut down. make sure the pinch bolt on the top tripple  tree , the one that clamps it to the stem is loose when you do this. once every thing is seated the tighten up all your pinch bolts.
 did that help?
 John D.

SoCal996

Thanks guys, I'll try the suggestions. Al and I talk frequently, I'll call him tomorrow about the bracket.

Brian