Head gasket

Started by [email protected], March 21, 2003, 08:54:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

[email protected]

Jerking around in a field behind my house this evening to avoid war news my 125 started to make a noise not unlike a blown head gasket.Took it back to the garage and pulled the head.It looked like a fairly large section of the gasket had just deteriorated.As this bike sat for 20 plus years I suppose that's possible just unusual.Anyone else have this happen.Frank

Doug Wilford

Sounds a bit unusual, as you say it has been sitting awhile and who knows what the torgue was before you ran it.   Put in a new head gasket and torgue it to 2.5- 3kpm or 22 ft.lb. or 240 in.lb. by the book, and recheck after the engine has been hot a couple of times.    Good luck.

[email protected]

This head gasket business just got weirder.The top of the piston was pretty beat up as was the combustion chamber so I took it down.It was evident a wrist pin keeper or something had come loose and really gouged the cylinder.When I got ready to remove the wrist pin it pushed right out.The keeper was gone and had never been replaced.I just got this bike so I woudl have known if this had happened so I have run the bike several hours with no pin keeper.The pin push out really easily.What stopped it for catching on a transfer port and stopping the whole thing?I posted on the wanted page for a cylinder the gouges are so deep I don't think even 60 thou will clean it up and it is at 54.5mm now.Any help on the cylinder appreciated,Frank.

Blue_Dog

If yours is really bad you might look at the one on Ebay Item # 2408463228. Its not perfect but maybe the bore is.
B_D

john durrill

Frank,
 give Al a call and see if he has a relined cylinder. if not he can put you in touch with the folks that do his relining and you can get the cylinder done. then yo can start back with a std bore piston.
John D.