Parts Bike

Started by rd400pi, March 24, 2003, 04:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rd400pi

I was wondering if the steely eyed folks on this site could help ID a bike.  It's Ebay#2408287531.  The seller calls it an unknown year/model parts bike.  He replied to my email that the frame# is 550 02531 and the engine# is 10955.  I would understand a 505 number meaning May of '75 but, what does 550 mean?  Are we missing some #'s? I can't really tell from the pics whether the tank is red or orange.  According to the ID chart, the '75 250 was red and '76 starts the orange era.  I also can't tell very well whether it has a rear fender loop or not. I thought maybe those of you that own '75, '76 or later 250's can spot the subtle clues needed for a positive ID. Thanks in advance.

Mike Husted (rd400pi)

rcrump1

Mike;
I believe the 550 prefix indicates a 400. Looks to be a 76 or 77. Can't tell if it's a GS or MC model.
Hope this helps.
Richard

rcrump1

Mike;
Looking at the picture again, the tank appears to be the small MX tank and I don't see a rear fender loop. My guess is a MC5 400.
Richard

rd400pi

Thanks for your help Richard. I haven't been paying very close attention to MC5 issues on this website since I only own 125 Six Day bikes.  It seems there has been alot of discussion about sidepanels and pipes.  Are there any other parts issues that are particularly difficult?

Mike Husted (rd400pi)

rcrump1

Mike;
I'm still trying to sort out all of the differences myself. I recently purchased what was described as a 78 400 MC5 but it's really a GS6. It had the small tank and no lights but did have the wiring for lights and the rear fender frame loop. I don't think there are any differences in the engines and I'm not sure that other than tank size and lights and associated enduro stuff there are any real differences. I bet a lot of enduro bikes got turned into MX'ers and vis-a-versa back in the day.
Richard

rd400pi

New info on the parts bike.  Apparently the carb has the #5436102.  Does this indicate a 36 sized carb?  Would this mean a 250?  Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Mike Husted (rd400pi)

James

Looks like 76 mc5 to me. Already had it in items watching i must confess. There were several 76-77 mc5 250s in the club in Tx a few years back and were a plenty competitive mount. For $200 it is worth the parts. If nothing else to keep the parts circulating within the hobby and not XXXX pseudo moto trail of death ridden( though it looks like it may have been through that already). Hmm..
The radial head 400 engine was made until when? 1980?. I bet a 79-80 400 engined bike is a good buy-put it in the mc5 chassis and then you have a racacble 400. Cool. I would agree though realistic for parts to start a project-expecting to add with perhaps other parts bikes-not the best project to start with. James

I have bike parts in the kitchen cabinets where most people have dishes..
7\\" and 4\\" travel? Hmm-that makes 11\\" Hey! I can live with that.

tomale

rd,
I took a look at that bike on e-bay and from the looks of the pipe and the size on the head and barrel I think that it is a 400 I have no doubt that it is a MC5 The tank markings are consistent with a 76. I wouldn't mind having the bike my self if I could spare the money. So go for it if you like. I sure looks hammered so I bet you can get it for a good price and then use it as a source for parts or maybe fix it, but that seems like a long shot. Hope this helps.

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

rd400pi

Thanks to everyone that replied.  I'm only looking at this bike if it's cheap.  It is local to me so, shipping would not be required.  We'll see what happens.

Mike Husted (rd400pi)

rd400pi

Pog'rs,
  I'm fairly new to the whole Penton thing but, it seems to me that with the HUGE amount of very experienced Pentonheads in the group and access to the Penton family and Penton Import (PVL) folks, that we should be able to build a worldclass database on Penton stuff.  The ID chart/2 page guide on ID'ing bikes is a good start but something to consider is a page with more detailed breakouts of model changes.
  If you visit some Bultaco sites, for instance, you can actually view a nice color picture(mostly from factory literature) of quite a few but, not all of the models/years.  A link to actual restored examples would be fantastic if people were willing but, even just a scanned image from a magazine test article or an actual dealership brochure thing would be extremely helpful(at least to guys at my level).  It seems that the factory kind of mish-mashed the bikes sometimes so, it might be tough to track and describe all the changes.  
  I have accumulated some road test articles, ... for Six Day bikes which I would be more than happy to have as a part of this project if it gets going.  Thoughts from the group?

Mike Husted (rd400pi)

James

Mike I see you won the auction. I think it is a good buy just by the parts I see in the pics. If you are in the OKC area you might know Ronnie Snyder. He is in Ada, Ok. and races Bultacos with the TVRC in Tx. I met him when I lost an auction to him on a 440 Maico. I e-mailed and asked if he wanted to sell after he picked up. He said he would-was just buying to take to mid-Ohio last year. When I got to his house he was more intersted in my 77 250 Pursang and we traded. He showed me several sites for vintage mx parts and bikes while I was there. A great guy I hope you run into him.
  thanks, James

I have bike parts in the kitchen cabinets where most people have dishes..
7\\" and 4\\" travel? Hmm-that makes 11\\" Hey! I can live with that.