Un-identified Green Air Box

Started by Jeff Reid, March 31, 2003, 10:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Reid

I've got three green air boxes for a '73 Six-Days I'm building. One is a brand new, frame breather unit but it is not as wide as the frame. It has a rubber flap attached and the box only attaches in two places. There is no provision for a bolt on the right side like the other boxes. The box doesn't reach all the way to the right side bracket. Is this for a late '74 or '75 model. My bike has the straight swing-arm not the "banana" version. The other two boxes (one new, one used)I have are both for non- frame breather CMF bikes. My bike is a frame breather. Any suggestions?

Jeff Reid, VP Ohlins USA, Husqvarna and Penton/KTM collector
Jeff Reid

john durrill

Jeff,
 ask karl or rocket if the 76 models they have use the box with just two mounting bolts. my sons 75 175 has that style.
 you can use either of the 72 cmf boxes, you will need to cut down the lip on top that the metal intake cap screwed to. then make up a  closed cell foam seal for the odd shape
 to go between the airbox and the frame up top. i did that on my 73 125 / 175. we found a blue box for a 72 to use on it. if to have a sandiing drum you can fit to a drill it dosent take long to take the lip down. go over the box you use inside with a coat of resin to make sure it dosnt have any pin holes. we did that with all the new bikes we sold.
John D.

Rocket

Jeff
The 75 175 that I am redoing has the 2 bolt airbox so I know they were available in 75.  The way Penton's were, there could have been some 74's with the 2 bolt also.  I'll have to check my 75 400 and see what that has, I know that is all original.
Rocket

Randy Kirkbride

Jeff,
My '75 Six Days airbox has 3 mounting bolts.
Randy

metalkfab

My '75 125 MX has a airbox with (3)mounting bolts and extends over to the frame on the right side.

john durrill

Rocket , Karl
 On your 75/76 sachs engine 125's or 100's,
 whats you shock length, eye to eye? how much travel do they have with the shock layed  all the way down. If i Have to run with the 76 and up machines i am thinking of adding the mounts to be able to lay mine down and gain a little more travel in the rear.
Thanks
John D.

Jeff Reid

thanks John and Rocket- You guys confirmed what I already thought was the case. John- I thought about cutting the lip as you mentioned - just was wincing at taking power tools to that new, un-used pretty green box. But that's what I'm going to do. When this is finished I'll have two decent boxes left over for somebody.
Jeff Reid