Marzocchi Forks

Started by tmc3c, March 30, 2003, 04:50:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmc3c

Well I have now had my Marzocchi Forks rebuilt and a fork leg replaced and now I find after talking to the guy's in the know here that the leading axle forks are not the best way to go with my Marzocchi piggyback shocks because of it not turning well.Who do ya'll think I should check with for a pair of center axle Ceriani's? any idea's? One thing I was always told never never pray for patience but some how I think learning it anyhow!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

rob w

Thomas, Turn the fork sliders around so the off-set axle is in the back, it should turn pretty good then, just kidding :). Have you tried riding it yet with the tubes slid up in the clamps? What length shocks are you using?
Bob

rd400pi

Ok, I know I'm slow but please explain.  What is wrong with the leading axle Marzocchi?  Why would we use a shock that causes me to run my tubes up into the tripleclamps?  Doesn't this negate the longer travel progress in suspension arena?  Thanks for your time.

Mike Husted (rd400pi)

Mike Lenz

If your talking about the 74/75 type frame the l axle Marz forks raise the front end about an inch over the in line cer forks. Hinders turning some for mx probebly fine for woods stuff, infact the 76 enduro models came that way with the 74/75 style frame. I suppose you could use longer rear shocks to offset the front.

James

Thomas-what frame are you using? I have not pais attention enough to remember. The center axle Cerianis (200 mm and 210 mm) are not adjustable as you know-just screwing in the bevel of clamps with the cap. Obviously the Zokes give you adjustablity..You also might locate a set of mag Cerianis (though rare) I think I remember them being a bit shorter than the zokes. On my last build of my 74/75 250 as a GP bike- I had zoke shocks laid down position with 210 mm Cerianis. Worked well for me. Turned well too. James

I have bike parts in the kitchen cabinets where most people have dishes..
7\\" and 4\\" travel? Hmm-that makes 11\\" Hey! I can live with that.

tmc3c

The bike I am building is a 1976 250gs,it has a high breather frame with the oval tube where the rear shock [13 1/2"] bolts up to frame. I am hoping to run AHRMA hare scrambles maybe a few mx's

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

James

Thomas-that is the same frame I had ( I miss the old bike...) Again with the 13-1/2"s laid down and 210 mm Cerianis it was great. I earlier rode the bike with 200 mm Cerianis and 13-1/2" works in the upright position. It too handled quite well-a better slider than with the taller suspension. I made the choice since I am 6'2" and the short bike was hurting my knees. If you are racing under sportsman with a 76 GS as a like manufacture to the 74 bikes then I would think the leading axle zokes would be out.
I am uninformed on the later AHRMA classes.
If you are able to run the shocks laid down then I think you will like zokes and can adjust them up in the clamps. (my bike was slightly taller in the rear even with the 210s. I saw a set of 200mm Cerianis on E-bay within the past week-with triple clamps. I have seen 210s there before but not as often.
I don't think Bobby has much left on the 200 or 210 Cerianis so that's it for my sources. Perhaps Al Buenner(sic?) spoken of on this site can link you with a set if you decide. Thanks, James

I have bike parts in the kitchen cabinets where most people have dishes..
7\\" and 4\\" travel? Hmm-that makes 11\\" Hey! I can live with that.

tmc3c

I thought that ZOKES leading axle came on my bike in production,is this not the case? and if I am right I think there is a class for 76 bikes but I can't recall the name.I only have a small area of which to slide the forks up in the clamps before hitting the handlebars,I guess some help is better than none.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Mike Lenz

With those forks and frame you would run post vintage, Historic class. Again if you want better turning try 14 or mybe even 14.5 inch shocks on the rear layed down. you may also get more shaft travel giving you more wheel travel.

tmc3c

Thanks Mike,I just got the Marzocchi piggybacks reworked and I still have a list of other work to do.Maybe I can trade them out for a pair like you are talking about.I am having to fork out $120.00 to a local shop on the forks and bushings being made for the rear shocks.The bad thing is I sent my wife to pick them up! I got to be low key for now when she knows I still got a engine to rebuild!!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler