Rob Report

Started by rob w, April 11, 2003, 10:53:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob w

The guys at the april POG meeting did accept my guest with open arms, but almost threw me out for suggesting he could sit in the tavern across the street.
At the end of the meeting, Jack took us on a tour of the KTM facility to see the new KTM "Adventures" with the new V-twin LC8 engines. We also saw Joe Kopps Supermoto machine, dressed in titanium and carbon-fiber, (I.d like one of each please) AWESOME and SUPER TRICK. I am so impressed, thank you Jack and POG.

On to Budds Creek, MD. and round 2 of the AHRMA Vintage MX Natl. We rode the same track as the AMA Natl. big boys, hard to believe, but it was very Vintage friendly, there were 3 table-top jumps, only 50 yards of the entire track was flat, everything else was steep up, or steep down, and many off camber turns, this was the same track that Doug Henry had his horrific crash when his throttle stuck wide open going off of the 200 ft. down hill, if you ever saw that on motoworld, it was amazing he lived. It sort of gave me the creeps every time I went over and down that.
The turn-out was 280 riders, which qualifies us to have a complete vintage and post-vintage weekend there next year.
In my 500cc Spt. Int. class there were 24 entries, I was tired as heck before the day began, and wished I was fishing, but I was there to race. I got a 3rd in the 1st moto, and a 3rd in the 2nd moto for 3rd O.A. In the other class I rode( 40+ Int.) my Penton would never run right, it is very strange how that worked out, it was okay running the 2 moto's of Spt.'s Int. but would die in the 2 moto's of 40+, I'm just glad I made a decent showing in the one class. Greg Troyan was riding very well, and got a 4th in the 40+ Int. class. There was also a Penton rider from N.Y., his name was Ted, I could'nt follow up on his results, but it was good to meet him, he was very nice. Kent and Kevin were a no-show?? Of the 200+ riders, there were 4 Pentons. What's going on, I think too many of our Pentons are going into restoration/show mode.
That's all for now, see you at Casey. Bob.

imported_n/a

Hey, Bob, contratulations on your 3rd overall.  You're going be moved up to Expert pretty quickly if you don't do a little sandbaggin'!

That's funny about your "bike" being tired for the second motos.  Are you sure it was the bike?  Just kidding.  Keep the Penton banner flying out there.  

What's the secret to getting your wife to let you get out of town so much?  I believe more Pentons would be on the track if we knew the secret.

Contrats again!

Glenn

namgar

I was at Budds Creek but on a Honda since my Penton is still waiting on parts.  Hopefully I'll have it ready for the next one.  I'm starting on a spare so I can have two Penton race bikes and won't have to go over to the dark side again.  That said I'd really like to Tommy Grimmel who loaned me the Honda!

William R Gahrmann
William R Gahrmann

tmc3c

Rob , GREAT Ride, Way to keep the Penton colors flying high!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

tmc3c

Bob, Thanks for thinking about my problem,I am still trying to line up the bushings for my rear shocks and should have this solved by next week,the on to the glass work,then to the engine.I just got spooked after going through all I have on the shocks to find out they wern't what I needed with the leading axle marzocchi's in tight woods, and let me tell you here in the South it is Tight! and wooped out, and a lot of sand near the coast.Thanks again, I will be in touch when I get close to the time to ride!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

imported_n/a

Hey, Bob, I'm there.

I'm trying to get a bunch of the guys to come out, too.  Karman C. will be there, and I'm hoping to get Tom R. and whoever else I can.  It's going to be great.

Glenn