Polishing aluminum

Started by Steve Minor, April 04, 2003, 09:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Minor

Anybody got a "secret way" to polish aluminum...(or alloy) such as triple clamps, motor stay, etc?.....or should I use the old buffing wheel and compound method?

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Steve

Steve Minor

AndyL

Steve,
I have had good luck on my Jackpiner with a buffing wheel and SimiChrome.  It is a paste in a tube (about the size of a toothpaste tube) and you use only a little bit on each part.

SimiChrome worked wonders on wheels, forks, brake stay, and motor supports.

Andy
Andy
#14u
MOVMX, AMA, AHRMA

Steve Minor

Thanks Andy......I assume Simechrome available at most auto parts stores...? I'll go check it out this weekend......

Steve Minor

DKWRACER

Steve, Eagle-One makes a VG polish called "Billet" polish, maybe a Harley Dealer has it......My shop partner also has a 8 in buffing wheel which we use, can start out with black compound then red or green then white, works wonders....

Thomas Brosius

Dennis D

You may want to check out the Eastwood Co. I use a product called "Auto-sol". Works well. Dennis D

john durrill

Most street bike shops still carry simichrome.
 it works great Steve and leaves a protective coating on the part. You can usualy use just your finger and a soft cloth, unless you have pitting.

Edited by - john durrill on 04/04/2003  8:57:46 PM

Blue_Dog

Another product that I have used for years is Never-Dull. It will take most of the "heat" blue off chrome headers and that's saying something. It's a wadding polish.
Don't remember the original Mfg, but it is an Eagle One product now.

B_D

frank the welder

Check out my reply to the swingarm finishing question..I have a 10hp 1800 rpm giant commercial polisher but still use vibratory finishing or ball burnishing on most stuff..Ever try to polish a rim on a wheel polisher..Holy Cow!! talk about a crazy task..

namgar

I get all my polishing supplies from these guys.  They have everything you could ever want for home poliching.

http://www.bright-works.com

William R Gahrmann
William R Gahrmann

Dave Pickett

Never-Dull. It is a "cotton" batting saturated with a plishing compound that is minimally abrasive, easy to use, and is awesome on the hard to clean spokes/nipples and carb bodies. Most shps carry it, or have them order for you. Good stuff and is made in USA. Made by George Basch Co. in NY. About $4.00 a can. Dave

Dave Pickett
Dave Pickett

swamp fox

You can get the Never-Dull at Lowes also. Or take it from under the sink where the wife keeps it hidden.

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
04 BMW K 1200 GT - KIA in N. Ga. - 32987 smiles
08 BMW K 1200 S
17 Ktm 300 Six Day (50th Aniversary) ;)

Steve Minor

I picked up some Never-Dull at my local auto parts store....also a buffing wheel and some polishing compound from Lowe's.

Thanks for all the responces.

Steve

Steve Minor

namgar

Just to keep it going a little while longer, my favorite new polishing accessory is a Flitz Ball.  It works GREAT on irregular shapes.  I thought it would be kind of hokie but it really seems to do pretty well.

http://www.flitz.com/polishing_ball.htm

William R Gahrmann
William R Gahrmann