New Pipes

Started by rd400pi, May 06, 2003, 02:45:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rd400pi

Unless the pipe manufacturer had to smelt/roll his own steel and then hand-form his own welding rods, why on god's green earth, would it take a year to get a pipe?

Mike Husted

Edited by - rd400pi on 05/10/2003  06:41:28 AM

rob w

Custom orders like those "steel tank" pipes from Aircone require alot more time than you might think. For one they are not slaves, they are busy doing what they need to do every day to earn a living and the custom jobs are not their bread-and-butter. A bunch of hours go into the preparation and set-up of making a custom part for the first time. You're either going to pay a thousand dollars or more for a pipe, or wait until it conveniently fits into their schedule from time to time. That's also why the maker needs to build 10 or so to an order, they're trying to recoup some money on the quanities after it get's rolling, so they can make a little off of it.
 I started to make some 70-71 pipes last fall, first off I knew they would have to be almost undetectable from the originals, because most all "steel tank" bikes fall in the hands of restorers and collectors, not racers, so form was more important than function. There's about 17 seperate parts that make up a pipe like that. After I added up the cost of the materials (from Aircone, McNichols and Karl) and my labor, I fiqured that if I made five at first, the cost would have to be $520.00 each. But there again, you get what you pay for. That project was put aside for later days.

I spoke to the racer at Budds Creek that has a new Jemco pipe on his "75" Penton 250. He probably does not want this to leak out because of his competetive nature, but I heard rave reviews!!, I think the words "unreal" and "great" were used. That does'nt mean they're going to build a pipe for everyone tomorrow, but if you're riding a "75" 250 it sounds like this could be your ticket.

I still beleive that if we're going to get together on hiring someone to ful-fill a need for riders/racers pipes, the people to do it would be FMF.

Thanks
Bob

desmond197

I think the 6 Day /Berkshire pipe is a priority. A nice down pipe for MX bikes would be a good seller as well.  Most european bike and car clubs get organized and have parts made for thier bikes or cars. We have been blessed with good parts supplies here in the states but this wil soon be  a thing of the past.  The days of the $50  barn fresh Penton are gone and the days of the $50 pipe are coming to an end. To get good repro parts like pipes we are going to have to spend some $$ and support craftsmen and small companies that can make up the parts we need. That means banding together and placing large enough orders for parts so these guys can make a buck. The hobby is entering a new era. Gentlmen get out your wallets.

Larry Perkins

I had a Jemco pipe and silencer on my 74 that I called The Rocket.  I thought the pipe was very "Works" looking and the bike wailed.  I won and holeshotted at Mid-Ohio in Over 40 class in 2001 with it.  If I build a 250 racer it would be my first choice.  Though I had wind there were some Carl Cranke pipes being built on spec by an individual and that would require a look if it surfaces.

rob w

I found an interesting pipe, hopefully I'll get it soon, the transaction is'nt moving along that quickly at the moment.
 It is a NOS down pipe for a "steel tanker" made long ago by "Volumetric Efficiency" in Selma, Ala. It utilizes the stock baffle and end cap from an original Penton pipe. Sounds cool eh? That should retain the original sound too. I'll let you know when I'm (if) in possession.
 Has anyone ever heard of one of these?
Thanks!

Lew Mayer

From all this all this talk of rocketship 250s, how bad can I expect to get beat at Mid-Ohio if I run my first ever motocross on a Jackpiner. Sounds like pretty bad.

Lewis A Mayer
Lew Mayer

rd400pi

Rob W,
  Lest anybody get the wrong idea, I don't think by asking why a pipe would take a year that it would indicate that I thought these guys were slaves.  I thought you gave a good explaination to us "laymen" about the pipe business.  There is no insult or put-down intended in any of this discussion.  I also fully understand that these guys would need to make a certain number of pipes as a minimum in order to turn a profit.  If it's going to require over $500 for a pipe before it's worth it to the builder then, I think it's fairly undoable, unfortunately.  

Mike Husted

rob w

Wow, it's now become evident, maybe this is not the best forum for me to express my thoughts. I'll admit that I'm not overly cautious about how I write sometimes, but I'm usually not expecting it to be examined word for word in the literal sense. I was expecting that communicating with others in this manner would get easier after a while, just by getting to know each others character. But, I'm learning it does'nt matter how long you know someone, there's still the chance they're going to get all up-tight and touchy over a few words. I don't need that, I think I'm just going to take my ball and go home.
Long live Penton pride, be happy!

Larry Perkins

Did I miss something?  Rob, what's up?

Steve Minor

Bob.....I hope we don't lose you as a contributor. Your knowledge of Pentons is very valuable and your insight is refreshing.

Edited by - steve minor on 05/12/2003  4:30:03 PM
Steve Minor

imported_n/a

Hey, Bob, you need to go bash some berms.  It always seems to work for me.  You need to blow off some steam before Byron, or else I'm staying away from you during practice!!

Glenn

mark nitchman

Rob W:  If you need a road trip you always have a rack out here in Seattle.  We have enough bike parts in my garage to make anything we want and two BMWs in the drive way if speed is what you need.  Good luck and hang in there, we need you.

rob w

......so anyway, about those pipes........?
......hey, some jerk stole my password.....

Seriously, I'm okay...I think, other than feeling like an idiot right now, I should make a full recovery back to my normal weirdness. I can attribute all of that to some insomnia, and that I need glasses real bad.

One thing for sure, you people here are absolutely the greatest guys in the world, I should be so blessed to know you and consider you my friend, thanks for trying to understand my non-sense. I do need to go riding, that would definetly revive me.
Thank you!

Larry Perkins

We Love You Too!  Let's ride.