'76 KTM 250

Started by SoCal996, May 06, 2003, 01:31:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCal996

Hi All,

There is a 1976 KTM 250 on ebay that looks like it might be a good Post Vintage bike. Would these be competitive in the '75 - '77 250 class? What are some of the "right" questions to ask when considering purchasing one of these bikes? Would it be better to hold out for a 77?

Thanks,
Brian

tomale

Hi Brian,
I recently put my 76' back into service and it has been running really good. I have had no trouble at the races either. The first time out I placed 2 and the 2nd time out I swept the class. As I understand there is almost no difference between the 76 and the 77. I had thought about getting it my self but I decided to hold off, I hope to be in the market for a 400 some time in the future. I probably will never sell the 250 though.

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

SoCal996

Thanks Thom! So many bikes so little time.

Brian

SoCal996

Okay, I'm still toying with the idea of the 76 250. Does this number make sense for a 76 250: 55003667 ?

Thanks,
Brian

tomale

Hi Brian,
Yes, that does seem right for the serial number on the frame but the engine may not be a 76. This is not really a problem but would be nice to know. I have yet to have a problem getting anything I need but some of the other guys seem to be having a problem getting a pipe. Al B. has been great to deal with. To know for sure you need to look at the serial number on the engine. If the first number is a 6 followed by a dash then it is a 76' and if it is a 7 followed by a dash then it is a 77. The tank looks like a 77 but the frame looks like a 76. Again not really a problem. The 76 tank decals had a wide stripe down the side with the Penton in the stripe.... like some of the earlier 250's and the 77 had a stripe that was thinner and then angled up at  45 degrees with Penton in large letters above the stripe. The tank on the bike in question looks to me to be a 77 minus the stripe. I think that it looks cool the way that it is. I am wondering if it is a desert tank or is it the smaller mx tank that has been painted. I hope this helps. I still think that it looks good and could  be a good buy depending on what you will have to pay for it. I will leave that up to you. If I remember right, I saw one go for 2500 buck a few months ago, but I think that it was all original. and I seem to remember one going for 1400 for a bike in fair shape. That is quite a difference and you will have to decide what you are willing to pay. For more info on what year some thing is, use the search mode and type in "serial number" I just did that to check on something and is really helpful. If you get the bike do me a favor and stay there in So.Cal. I don't think I can stand the competition. By the way, my bike was bought in San Jose calif when I still lived down there. Here on the left coast. you could buy a KTM in 76' that was just like the Pentons on the east coast. Only the decals were different.

74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

SoCal996

Thanks again Thom, great info!

tomale

Hi Brian,
I recently put my 76' back into service and it has been running really good. I have had no trouble at the races either. The first time out I placed 2 and the 2nd time out I swept the class. As I understand there is almost no difference between the 76 and the 77. I had thought about getting it my self but I decided to hold off, I hope to be in the market for a 400 some time in the future. I probably will never sell the 250 though.

74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

SoCal996

Thanks Thom! So many bikes so little time.

Brian

SoCal996

Okay, I'm still toying with the idea of the 76 250. Does this number make sense for a 76 250: 55003667 ?

Thanks,
Brian

tomale

Hi Brian,
Yes, that does seem right for the serial number on the frame but the engine may not be a 76. This is not really a problem but would be nice to know. I have yet to have a problem getting anything I need but some of the other guys seem to be having a problem getting a pipe. Al B. has been great to deal with. To know for sure you need to look at the serial number on the engine. If the first number is a 6 followed by a dash then it is a 76' and if it is a 7 followed by a dash then it is a 77. The tank looks like a 77 but the frame looks like a 76. Again not really a problem. The 76 tank decals had a wide stripe down the side with the Penton in the stripe.... like some of the earlier 250's and the 77 had a stripe that was thinner and then angled up at  45 degrees with Penton in large letters above the stripe. The tank on the bike in question looks to me to be a 77 minus the stripe. I think that it looks cool the way that it is. I am wondering if it is a desert tank or is it the smaller mx tank that has been painted. I hope this helps. I still think that it looks good and could  be a good buy depending on what you will have to pay for it. I will leave that up to you. If I remember right, I saw one go for 2500 buck a few months ago, but I think that it was all original. and I seem to remember one going for 1400 for a bike in fair shape. That is quite a difference and you will have to decide what you are willing to pay. For more info on what year some thing is, use the search mode and type in "serial number" I just did that to check on something and is really helpful. If you get the bike do me a favor and stay there in So.Cal. I don't think I can stand the competition. By the way, my bike was bought in San Jose calif when I still lived down there. Here on the left coast. you could buy a KTM in 76' that was just like the Pentons on the east coast. Only the decals were different.

74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

SoCal996

Thanks again Thom, great info!

Mike Lenz

Remember There were two 76 models mc-5 and gs-6. The mc-5 is probebly the most competive bike out there for the 75=77 class MX class out of all the brands.

tlanders

Watch out if you ride the age classes. In the 50+ Post Vintage class I had to ride against a 1984 Suzuki 500, two 1982 Suzuki 500s, and four Maico 440 or bigger bikes last weekend. I was the only 1978 bike and it was the oldest and smallest (250cc) bike there. There were twelve bikes total in the class. I guess I should add that I got a fourth overall for the day - Pentons RULE!!!

Teddy

Mike Lenz

Yea but did you get the holeshot???

tlanders

NO!!! Had to pass guys.

Teddy