Stainless Steel Spokes ?

Started by TomG, May 01, 2003, 11:14:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomG

I need to replace spokes and was wondering what the advantage is for the stainless steel spokes over the stock ones other than appearance? Price doesn't seem to be one. Are they stronger or something?  I need to replace both front and rear on a '78 400 MC5.

Bob

Quotequote:
what the advantage is for the stainless steel spokes over the stock ones other than appearance?

They don't rust and I assume are as strong or stronger than steel. They look good and don't rust.

john durrill

Tom,
 the stainless is stronger if you use the stainless nipples. I dont care for the stainless nipples as they require more torque to fit and can gaul  the threads even when your careful to lube them well.
 I like steel or crome plated brass nipples for trail rideing and vinduro stuff. get a good nipple wrench if you go with stainless. they even recomend torqueing the nipples down.
 John  & Peter

Mick Milakovic

Stainless is stronger in straight-line testing, but also more brittle when bent.  John is right, stainless threads gaul when tightened.  Use an anti-seize thread compound and it will work with smaller diameter threads.  A custom shop I used to work for just threw away 3/8" and bigger bolts when they took them apart.

Mick Milakovic
Delphi, IN
765-268-2570
Mick