Spinning allen head bolt in the fork leg bottom

Started by Steve Minor, April 26, 2003, 02:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Minor

I replaced both upper fork tubes on my 77 400gs6...the allen head bolt in the bottom of the right fork leg tightened up pretty as you please....the left tightened to a point but now spins. I've heard about grinding a point on a steel rod and wedging the fork rod while tightening...any other technique? As always, any suggestions are appreciated

Edited by - steve minor on 04/26/2003  2:42:19 PM
Steve Minor

hrbay

Steve, similar problem last week after a seal job, stuck a clean rotisserie rod( square ) down the tube and pressed in while tightening the allen. Spinning the wrench sometimes gets it to grab the rod. Hope this helps. gc

GC
GC

Dave Withrow

Steve,
    You can get a wooden dowel rod or cut off a broom stick.  Either one will work.

Steve Minor

Dave....and idea as to the diameter of dowel I'll need? I can to to the home supply store tomorrow and pick one up.

Thanks
Steve

Steve Minor

Doug Wilford

Steve Try tightening after the springs and cap are reinstalled, sometimes that is enough to hold so you can tighten, also if you have a small air tool that will spin it faster.  It catches and tightens.

Steve Minor

Thanks guys...I'll try all, or a combination of your suggestions.

Anybody hear when the ISDTRR entry forms are going to be available? I sure don't want to miss it!

Steve Minor

Larry Perkins

I have good luck in that situation when the fork leg is off but before oil is in them and the caap is on turn the fork leg upside down with the fork tube on the floor.  Because of residual oil you might do this on newspaper.  In this position you can tighten allen bolt and press on fork at the same time.  The springs will add pressure and it should tighten up.  If not remove spring and damper rod and make sure threads in damper rod are not boogered.  Just another idea.

Steve Minor

Larry....you're saying turn the entire fork leg assembly (without oil) upsidedown and compress the fork while tightening the allen bolt? Sounds like it just might work.

Thanks

Steve Minor

Larry Perkins

I think you will find it will the vast majority of the time.  Low Tech has a day now and again.

Gavin Housh

Seve, I use an allen socket on my impact wrench. One or two blips of the trigger is all that's needed.I've even used my hammer impact driver. You know the type you hit with a hammer. Gavin

Mike Lenz

If all else fails I welded a ez out to the end of a pipe that goes into the damp rod hole and holds it. Make sure you use the straight type as compared to the swirl type. This way it will work for losening and tightening, if need be. Mars up the top of the rod hole a little but that is not an issue. Just make sure you clean it good while apart.