5 or 6 speed-take your pick!

Started by Mike Lenz, April 01, 2003, 09:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Lenz

Ive finally figured out how to make KTM trannys a 5 or 6 speed with the change of one exterior bolt. The 78 and 79 manuels state that some engines came with a different shift drum that allows you to change your bike from a 5 to a 6 speed with the change of a bolt! Well Ive figured out the differences on the earlier motors on how to do this. It requires a modification to the shift drum and drilling the cases from a 6mm threaded hole to 8mm. The shift drum is the only trickey part and I have made up a couple extra. Of course you have to split the cases to do the change to the drum and drill the cases. But once its done you can race an mx with a five speed [first is locked out and then you also have no neutral between second and third!] and race a woods run the next day with a 6 speed, and always have the right gearing!! If you have a good shift drum just send it to me and I will send you a modified one and instructions for 10. bucks. Send me your adr to [email protected] and Ill email mine back.

Mike Lenz

One person got one of these modified drums from me. I have done my second engine and learned a couple more things. Please contact me if you havent done your motor yet.

tomale

Mike,
The idea is appealing but I am not up to splitting my cases. The last time I did something like that it ended being expensive.
I broke three transmission in three weeks on that maico I use to own.
Which brings me to a related question. I was noticing this week end that I am having some trouble with mis shifts. No much but some. Big Mac was saying that he was having similar problems on his 250, any ideas. Part of the problem may be the newer boots that I am wearing now. The old boots just do not fit anymore. too bad too because I sure liked the feel of the older boots.

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Mike Lenz

The new boots may be it, espically if you went from all leather to a plastic piece under the shift lever, as even the new Hi-points have. I had the same problem with the new boots and had to bend my shift lever up more, alot more.

tomale

Mike, you are right about the boots, they have plastic all over the place. They are much stiffer than I like. If I could find a set of  boots like my old ones that were all leather I would really prefer that. I do like the ski boot style buckle. That is really nice.

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W