Stiffer spring rates?

Started by tomale, May 03, 2003, 11:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomale

Ok, I am quite a bit heavier than I was when I last rode and race my MC5. I did not change it until now because  I was just gettin back into riding and I figured it would not be a problem. I need to know what kind of spring rates do I need to use for someone who is 250 pounds and rides pretty aggressively. It became clear that I needed to make a change when yesterday I kept bottoming out my shocks and forks over every jump. I know that is a bunch of weight but I have already lost 15 and plan on losing a bunch more. I need the rate for forks as well the shocks. Any help would be greatly apprieciated.
These newer style tracks seemed to be all about jumps that are connected by a few corners and short straight aways.

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

john durrill

Thom ,
 What kind of shocks are you useing and how good are the springs in the forks?
 Progressive might be able to come up with a set of fork springs. You need a wet weight for the bike and your rider weight with all your gear on.
 10 wt fork oil was what came in most of the 75 and back bikes. You can make preload spacers from plastic tubeing, 1/4 inch jumps, for the springs you have now.
I think we saved some posts from vinduro on fork set up and how to sag a bike front and back. We will look and see. If we can find them would you like us to forward them to you ?
 If you are bottoming that much on the track slow down till you figure it out. You will damage the hubs and rims over time.
 John & Peter

tomale

John thanks,
I weighed by bike and ready to ride it weighs 230 pounds. Me, ready to ride. I weigh 275. I am not sure what kind of shocks they are. They are red, steel and have a schrader valve at the base. They are set up for dual springs rates. I think that they are Fox spring shocks but I am not sure, they is no identifying marks on them at all. He did sell those before he sold the airshocks. I have been thinking about changing the length of my shocks to get it to turn better. So what I have now may not be all that important. I would love to have Fox airshocks again.
Any thing that you can come up with on fork set up would be great.
The last time I change the fork oil I out ATF in them. I think that it is not enough dampening. And maybe the springs are too soft too. I can push on the handle bars while holding the front brake colapse the forks about half way. This seems to be a bit soft to me.
Thanks for your help.

74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

tomale

John,
I have been thinking about the use of spacers in the forks. I was wondering.... wouldn't that just change the stiffness at the bottom of the stroke and not really change it much any where else? am I missing something?

74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

john durrill

Thom, here is a link to one of the replys on setting up forks and shocks.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/vinduro/message/26797
 if your not a member join the vinduro group. do a search on this thread and i think it will save you a bunch of time and grief.
 it has one key bit of info i never understood. most of the bikes i have owned had good forks and shocks. i weighed 175 and most bikes were set up for someone of my build and weight so i never had to delve too deep in the mods to adapt one to work.
John D.

tomale

Thanks John,
I had always been 175 pounds too until I hit the big 40 and then....... Like you I never had to worry much about spring rates before. dampening is easier to deal with.
Thanks for your help.

74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

tomale

John thanks,
I weighed by bike and ready to ride it weighs 230 pounds. Me, ready to ride. I weigh 275. I am not sure what kind of shocks they are. They are red, steel and have a schrader valve at the base. They are set up for dual springs rates. I think that they are Fox spring shocks but I am not sure, they is no identifying marks on them at all. He did sell those before he sold the airshocks. I have been thinking about changing the length of my shocks to get it to turn better. So what I have now may not be all that important. I would love to have Fox airshocks again.
Any thing that you can come up with on fork set up would be great.
The last time I change the fork oil I out ATF in them. I think that it is not enough dampening. And maybe the springs are too soft too. I can push on the handle bars while holding the front brake colapse the forks about half way. This seems to be a bit soft to me.
Thanks for your help.

74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

tomale

John,
I have been thinking about the use of spacers in the forks. I was wondering.... wouldn't that just change the stiffness at the bottom of the stroke and not really change it much any where else? am I missing something?

74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

john durrill

Thom, here is a link to one of the replys on setting up forks and shocks.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/vinduro/message/26797
 if your not a member join the vinduro group. do a search on this thread and i think it will save you a bunch of time and grief.
 it has one key bit of info i never understood. most of the bikes i have owned had good forks and shocks. i weighed 175 and most bikes were set up for someone of my build and weight so i never had to delve too deep in the mods to adapt one to work.
John D.

tomale

Thanks John,
I had always been 175 pounds too until I hit the big 40 and then....... Like you I never had to worry much about spring rates before. dampening is easier to deal with.
Thanks for your help.

74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W