Questions about model differences

Started by sdm, May 07, 2003, 12:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdm

I have been keeping my eyes open for a Penton in the 125 to 250 size but am ignorant about alot of details in regards to differences between the mx models and
the enduro /isdt models. Are there any
differeces in the transmissions on these models like the Husky Cr vs the WR ?
 If I am going to look at buying something I would like to make sure I target the right version.
Thanks
Sam     [email protected]

Larry Perkins

From 1967 to 1975 the Penton enduro and MX bikes were the same motor in all models.  The internal gearing was identical.  There were differences in tanks and lights and such but that was it.  In 76 and 77 there is a more distinct difference in the MX and enduro models but even then most of the differences are in the chassis.  Differences in frames, forks, swingarms, etc.  The cool part is you could do most every kind of riding on whatever Penton you owned.  I had a Mint 400 in 75 and raced in in MX, enduro, Grand Prix, and even one trials in the trailbike class.  It was originally the enduro model.  You will get a kick out of whichever Penton you decide on.

sdm

Thanks Larry ..
I thought that was pretty much the case but
I wanted to make sure. I mostly rode Can Ams during that period but have always
wanted to own a Penton. I did have a 80 250
KTM for a couple years and I wish I still had it. I had it all set up for enduros then I had to sell it due to personal reasons.
  I am not sure what I will wind up with but
I am not afraid of turning a few wrenches
either.
Thanks again
Sam

DKWRACER

Should you wish to engage, I have an 80/250 in clean fashion...
[email protected]

Thomas Brosius

sdm

DKWRACER
Thanks for the reply... I'll send you an
 email.
Sam

Larry Perkins

From 1967 to 1975 the Penton enduro and MX bikes were the same motor in all models.  The internal gearing was identical.  There were differences in tanks and lights and such but that was it.  In 76 and 77 there is a more distinct difference in the MX and enduro models but even then most of the differences are in the chassis.  Differences in frames, forks, swingarms, etc.  The cool part is you could do most every kind of riding on whatever Penton you owned.  I had a Mint 400 in 75 and raced in in MX, enduro, Grand Prix, and even one trials in the trailbike class.  It was originally the enduro model.  You will get a kick out of whichever Penton you decide on.

sdm

Thanks Larry ..
I thought that was pretty much the case but
I wanted to make sure. I mostly rode Can Ams during that period but have always
wanted to own a Penton. I did have a 80 250
KTM for a couple years and I wish I still had it. I had it all set up for enduros then I had to sell it due to personal reasons.
  I am not sure what I will wind up with but
I am not afraid of turning a few wrenches
either.
Thanks again
Sam

DKWRACER

Should you wish to engage, I have an 80/250 in clean fashion...
[email protected]

Thomas Brosius

sdm

DKWRACER
Thanks for the reply... I'll send you an
 email.
Sam