stupid question

Started by chris p., May 12, 2003, 09:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris p.

i got back to the penton  after a much unneeded break from it. anyway, its been running for a while now my question is the motor doesnt seem to lite up till about 3 gear 1/2 to 3/4 throttle then it really rips but unless i could get a running start at the gate i dont stand a chance. 1 or 2 gear from a stand still = no wheel spin just seems pretty lame   ime thinking that the reeds that are on it dont belong . could it be that simple   any thoughts? 1976 125 ktm motor  thanxs 4 reeding

tomale

Chris,
I have a few thoughts. I have learned that few problems are straight forward and simple, such as the reeds. We hope that it is but unless it is purely mechanical it
seldom is. If the bike has been sitting for awhile and has been subject to the cold and dampness,it could be several things or could be a combination of things. It would be best to start with the simple and move to the complex. Is it possible that the carb is gummed up. Check the pilot jet it could be partially plugged. I do not know much about reeds but I wonder if they could become hard and would not open up right, This is just a quess. How is the pipe, has it ever been cleaned and what of the silencer and spark arrestor, are they plugged? Is the ignition electonic or does it have points. Sometimes the condensor can have a problem, is there condensation on the points? Water can do strange things.  I am thinking that anyone of these could cause a problem but together they could create strange effects. I hope this does not scare you. If it was me, I would start with the carb and make sure that it was sqeaky clean, while I had the carb off I would check those reeds, then I would check out the pipe and the spark arrestor to make sure that it is in good condition. And if the problem persist. I would start looking at the ignition system. Everytime I ride afterwards I take off the ignition cover and allow it to dry out. I am constantly amazed how much water collects in there. I hope this helps. Good luck and I hope that the problem is as simple as you hope it is.

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

hrbay

Hey Chris, when you get the carb off take a look at the slide... if it has a big wide smile on the intake side you may be running lean on the idle to 1/4 throttle due to too much air. Did it run ok before? Just a thought. GC

GC
GC