Gearbox Oil

Started by Blue_Dog, May 11, 2003, 10:53:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue_Dog

Since I don't have any Hi-Point oil, what's the best substitute? I want to change the gear oil in the 250.
Fork oil?
Since I'm asking what air pressure in the front forks?  (185 lb. rider)
B_D

Dwight Rudder

What year 250 ?
What type forks ?
Air Pressure ?
Cher'o,

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
7 time National Enduro Class Champion.

Blue_Dog

1975 -- 250 Penton
35mm Ceriani w/air Caps

Tkx,
B_D

Dwight Rudder

I would use 7.5 wt. PJ1 fork oil. Works great in my 1972 Six Day 125 32mm forks. If it still has springs , use the caps as bleeders to bleed excess air pressure from forks.

Cher'o,

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
7 time National Enduro Class Champion.

Larry Perkins

On oils.  In the gearbox use 1 to 1.5 quarts of oil.  If you use Spectro gearoil in the gearbox and Golden Spectro Concentrate in the gas you are basically useing HIPOINT oil because Spectro is the company that made HIPOINT oils.  Most of the HIPOINT products were made by someone else and just packaged under the HIPOINT label.

The Ceriani caps originally had a ball and spring air bleed off system.  When it worked it was a good deal.  If it would goof up the forks would either pump up or drool oil out the vent holes causing all kinds of grief.  The cool racer setup to solve that prob was drilling the caps out and tapping for airvalves.  Then you could bleed off the pumped up air after riding.

john durrill

B_D,
 if you need new springs , we were able to get a set from Speed and Sport.
 Dwight recomended the Maxim Gear oil if you cant get the Spectro. lots of shops carry it
 we went with the 75 light. 10 weight oil was what came in the forks stock.
John D.

Mick Milakovic

If gearbox oil is what everybody is using these days, then why does the manual say ATF?  My project is almost on the track, and I want to use what's best.

Mick Milakovic
Delphi, IN
765-268-2570
Mick

Blue_Dog

Mick:
Exactly, I didn't post that because I wanted the feed back. I just picked up some Bel-Ray Gear Saver SAE 80W. Wasn't what I really wanted but all the had. I may hold off to find some Spectro.
The question about the air forks was due to the fact that in 74 I put the air caps on the
front and used very little oil with air, around 15 to 25 psi cant remember just did the trial and error deal. I do remember the first time out with the air deal I forgot about letting pressure out as I had them aired up for leak test, hit a large bump went airborne and broke my wrist. YEP for real.
B_D

john durrill

B_D , Mick,
 You can run a search on POG and look at all the input and opinions on oil. Both for the engine and the gearbox.
 As a dealer in the early 70's we used both the Spectro and ATF. ATF doesn't protect the gears as well as Gear oil but it did help a lot with clutch drag when the motor was hot. that was a real concern in some situations. I used ATF for years with good results.
 We decided to switch to gear oil to add a little more protection to the tranny in the 125/175 conversion. The Sachs tranny  is not near as strong as a KTM gearbox.
 Lots of folks have had good results with different types of oil. Oil seems to be like talking politics , chuckle chuckle. You can get some very heated posts going.
 ATF was recommended for 40 degrees or below in some of my old books. I used ATF in FLA. in all kinds of weather for many years. No failures ..... see what I mean? * GRIN *
 JOhn D.

Mick Milakovic

John,
Exactly what I thought.  My '78 Husky manual recommends straight SAE 20w.  I've used that religiously since new and I still have the original clutch plates!  I remember some earlier posts saying to cut the gear oil with a little ATF (maybe 25%).

Mick Milakovic
Delphi, IN
765-268-2570
Mick