New swing arm bearings for CMF Sachs engine Penton

Started by john durrill, May 14, 2003, 08:41:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

john durrill

Ok Dom, is about to make the first run of swing arm bushings.
 looks like they will be made of Bronze.
 We have an option of keeping the old outer sleeve from the orignal bushing and useing it for the new bearing to mate against or use the swing arm pivot point.
 what would everyone perfere?
 my thinking is the the old outer sleeve could be replaced if it wears , at some later date with a new sleeve. that would be my choice. everone conserned please provide input. Dom is about to make up the first run this week.
 John D.

Edited by - john durrill on 05/14/2003  09:38:49 AM

swamp fox

Hi John,
I have yet to tear my swingarm apart, but would be game to try whatever everyone thinks best. I am boxing up my motor to send to Doug, and will be concentrating on the frame next. Do you have any input on painting or powder coating the frame?

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
04 BMW K 1200 GT - KIA in N. Ga. - 32987 smiles
08 BMW K 1200 S
17 Ktm 300 Six Day (50th Aniversary) ;)

john durrill

Robert,
 we used PJ1's KTM silver gray for the frame paint.
 we used a suction sand blaster and 90 psi to clean the frame. then degreased it with acetone and painted it. we did'nt use a primer. the primer would be a good idea if you dont mind re- sanding the frame.
 My choice on the bushings would be leave the old outer in place if its in good shape and round, lightly hone it with a small brake cylinder hone you can get at an autoparts store.
 we use a propane torch to remove the old rubber and inner bearing. just heat it long enough for the rubber to catch on fire and soften. Keep the flame off the swing arm pivot ,you may have to go back and reheat till enough is burned out you can tap the old inner sleeve out. remove all the old rubber with out scaring the  outer sleeve.
 the new bearing will have O ring's to seal it. i would add grease fittings so you can regrease with out pulling the bike apart.
Just loosen the swing arm bolt and hit each fitting with a grease gun. then re-tighten.
 the machines will start turning friday to make up the bushings so folks. any input would be great right now.
JOhn

Edited by - john durrill on 05/14/2003  11:17:41 AM

swamp fox

John,
Thanks for the tips. It has been really helpful with all the info that you guys have. I'll keep in touch.

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
04 BMW K 1200 GT - KIA in N. Ga. - 32987 smiles
08 BMW K 1200 S
17 Ktm 300 Six Day (50th Aniversary) ;)