Picture of my penton project

Started by dirtbike, May 14, 2003, 01:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirtbike

I suspect that someone might begin to wonder what happened to the penton restoration over here. A picture taken today is here:
http://www.mxbikes.com/forum/view.php?key=1052935059&bn=mxbikes_ktm1&site=mxbikes

I will get my act together and report more frequently from now on...

Dwight Rudder

Looks nice , A 1970-71 Six Day 125 ?
I hope those are not the shocks you plan on using. They are completely wrong. They would have been made about 1976. Your bike should have non finned shocks mounted springs up.
Just taking note.
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
7 time National Enduro Class Champion.

dirtbike

There are more pictures there now and a very special picture sole for Kip Kern with a huge thanks!

I believe that the shocks are original. It´s a KTM actually. There are no such thing as Penton here in sweden. The color of the shocks is all wrong, It´s just me.
Here are a picture taken before I started:
http://www.mxbikes.com/bikes/ktm/restore1/

The forum is to be found under:
http://www.ktm495.mxbikes.com
concentrating on the 420<->495 evolution era.

Dwight Rudder

The photo of the before bike, has wrong seat, looks like a 1974-75 seat. The shocks are for sure wrong.  The original had Girlings with the chrome shroud. They didn't even have gas type shocks as these are until about 1975-76.  No one ever mounted shocks Up side down until 1976-77.
Proper shocks won't be hard to find. The originals were 13.5" long. The seat will be much harder to replace but you probably have already found one.  You will get it together. You look to me like you are well on your way. Did you find the proper alloy fenders yet ?
Cher'o,

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist

dirtbike

No, I'm still looking for fenders. This is a motocross model so I'm also looking for a lightning stator, flywheel, front light and front break arm.
These aren't gas shocks. I rebuilt them myself and there is no gas, gas compartement or nipple to fill in gas. It's KONI's. It happens quite often that I see models in US that are differently equipped than here in europe. I have a problem finding out exactly how things are supposed to be for early KTM's. The Pentons are well documented though. But if you say it's wrong it is, unless you are sure that there is no difference between (KTM, MX, europe) and (Penton, enduro, USA). Anyway I'll build it as a Penton (replica) or what one might call it. I'll keep working on it though!

Thanks for all input.

Dwight Rudder

Well, These Konis have cooling fins. Unheard of prior to 1974 Yamaha shocks. Also turn them right side up.
I think VIKING MOTORS , Don Ince , [email protected] ,  has some fenders that will work great. He usually sells on Ebay. Good luck and keep posting !
Cher'o,

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist

dirtbike

I tried to put the shock upside down or is it right side up, but it just won´t fit! The house doesn´t clear the swingarm and the bolt diameters aren´t the same. Besides it looks awful. The reason I´m wondering is because I have a history on the bike and it´s supposed to be completely stock. Now I´m not 100 % sure so I take your word for it that the shocks isn´t the original ones. Do you think that they will malfunction mounted like this? The dampening without spring is pretty hard.

Dwight Rudder

I am sending you some photos direct of Steel Tank Pentons.  A couple belong to me and the rest to Vinduro / POG members.  Let me know what you think and if these help any.
Cher'o,

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist

dirtbike

Nice pictures. The red one and the green at the bottom with no: 40 on the plates seems to have the same saddles with chrome sides.
From what I can see they all have different looking shocks though. I will try to find a headlight, rear light and metal fenders that looks as close to original as possible. My bike is a 100cc. What color would be right on the tank? I'm leaning towards red. Looks gorgeous. The engine has a new shifting key, kick shaft and piston that Kip Kern actually gave to me. Still can't belive that! I would like to buy new chain tensioners. One of mine looks pretty bad, welded over and over again.

The bike is a bunch of fun but I have my 250GS -81 and maico 440 -80 to attend also.
I'll keep you posted...

Dwight Rudder

The 100s were red.
They all have similar shocks. I think the #40 has the most wrong. They are totally chrome and look like they came off a 1972 Yamaha. One of them looks like the chrome shroud was painted black probably to cover up rust.
Cher'o,
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist