MOVMX Race

Started by metalkfab, May 31, 2003, 09:38:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalkfab

Anybody have the results for the 100cc race at Greenwood,Mo.?

AndyL

Karl,
On Saturday the Top 3 Results in the Advanced Rider and Reeded Engine class
were 1st-Jim Pomeroy, 2nd-Randy Smith, 3rd-Phil Ketchum.  Jim and Randy were on Orange tank Hodaka Super Rats and Phil was riding his chrome tank Rat.

I ended up second in the Novice, Reeded Engine class on my orange tank Super Rat.

I dont believe a single 100cc Penton was racing on Sat, but there were several Pentons racing on Sunday, but like Sat, none were in the 100cc races on Sunday.

I will get the rest of the results for my class (Novice) and the non-reeded classes and post them.

I did meet several POG members at the event and got a ton of advice on problems I am having! (Thanks again Randy K.  I will let you know how the testing with your Bing goes.)

Andy
Andy
#14u
MOVMX, AMA, AHRMA

Randy Kirkbride

Well, after almost 4000 miles to Utah and back, (man, my butt is tired), I can finally report on the Greenwood, MO races. Great races & track. Very well run. And the weather was super.  It was neat to meet up with AndyL, Teddy & Rosemary Landers, Bobby Lucas, Skip Miller, & Jim Pomery.

tlanders

It was a bad weekend for me mechanically. My MC5 broke a rear hub and the wheel started to come apart and it threw the chain about 30 yards before the finish line which I coasted over and managed to stay ahead of the guy who was hounding me all race. In the race with my Mint 400, I got the hole shot but in the second corner, the carb loaded up and 5 guys passed me. Then a lap later, the carb loaded up so badly that the engine quit going up a hill. I pushed it to the top and tried to bump start it again going down the other side. Got it going but by then everybody had passed me by a long way. Then in the next lap the seat flew off on a jump and I got to race two laps with no seat. But the worst thing that happened I am going to report in another post about LOST PENTON PARTS!!!!

Teddy

tomale

Teddy,
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I hate it when stuff like that happens. I have had days when I got the races only to have just about everything go wrong. Not my idea of fun. I hope that you find your things.
Did you say that your rear hub broke?
Any idea what caused it? I did not think that was possible. soon after I bought my bike, I was out riding in a cleared off field and managed to hit a block of cement in top gear. No I did not see it coming. Some how I managed to hang on to the bike and slid it to a stop. But in the process I had crushed both rims but the hubs were fine. I replaced the rims with stock sun rims and have had no problems since.
I have heard of late model maico's having such problems but this is the first I have heard of Pentons with such problems.

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

tlanders

Thom,

When you look inside the rear brake drum area, there is a thin metal backing plate that is held in place by a thin large diameter snap ring. The snap ring is held by a protrusion of the cast hub on the OD of the protrusion. On the inside of the cast hub is another snap ring that holds the bearing in place. It is this protruding part of the cast hub that holds the snap rings in place that broke. About 180 degrees of it broke off allowing the snap ring and bearing to come out. This shifted the wheel and sproket to the left and this misaligned the chain and it came off. I keep some spare wheels, so it is back together again and ready for Casey this weekend. I have not succeeded in getting the Mint 400 back together yet. I am still not sure why the engine loaded up. Upon inspecting the carb, the three things I found that may has caused it are: 1. The plastic liner on the carb to intake manifold connection was rotated so the notch was not at the bottom where the idle air comes in possibly restricting the idle air. 2. The idle air screw was only 3/4 turns out possibly making the idle too rich. 3. The splash screen that is supposed to surround the main jet was pushed up so that it was not around it at all.

In addition to these things, I had been reducing the size of the needle jet since Florida. The book says that it should have a 3.22 or 3.24 needle jet, a 185 to 195 main and a 50 pilot. The engine came with a 195 main, 3.18 needle jet with the needle all the way down, and a 45 pilot. I changed the main last fall to 190 and won every race with it, but the plug looked a little lean. So after the rebuild this winter, I decided to go with the books recommendations and put in the 3.22 needle jet and 50 pilot. I also made the carb to manifold connection tight by adding metal to the manifold and turning it back down to the original size. I believe it may had been leaking a little air which may have accounted for the lean looking plug, I had caulked it, but that wasn't fool proof. At first start in Florida, the bike would hardly run it was so rich and loaded up. I went to the 3.20 needle jet with the needle all the way up and it was still too rich. I dropped the needle all the way down and changed the main to a 185. Now it ran and I won the Marion, IL mid-west regional last month, but as reported, it loaded up in a couple corners at Harpers. I think I remember it trying to load up at Marion but I was better able to keep the revs up I guess. Or the corners were tighter and slower at Harpers and the weather was definitely hotter at Harpers. Given my belief that the carb is set up too rich at the low end, I checked all the pilot air passages and found them open. Just in case, I soaked them in carb cleaner and blew them out several times. My predelection is to return to the 45 pilot jet and the 3.18 needle jet, make sure the screen and plastic liner are where they are supposed to be and screw out the pilot air screw 1.5 turns. Any suggestions, help, comments???????

Teddy

Larry Perkins

Ted  

Go back to the 195 main, 318 needle jet, and 45 pilot jet.  Make sure you start with a NEW needle jet not the old one.  needle jets ovalize in time on the Bing and they are then bigger.  Also make sure there is no smiley face beginning to happen on the slide.