Cleaning air filters

Started by tlanders, June 17, 2003, 11:18:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tlanders

I used to clean my foam type air filters in gasoline, dry them out with compressed air then reoil, squeeze the excess out, put a band of grease around the filter edge where it contacts the fiberglass air box. Recently I purchased a parts cleaner that I filled up with kerosine. Now I'm cleaning the filter in the kerosine and not using the gasoline. I figured this would be better because kerosine is really an oil and it would give me better protection. However, since I started this ritual, I seem to be having a rash of loaded up engines during races. Is it possible that the kerosine is somehow reducing the amount of air that is getting through the filter? I realize the proper way to clean it prior to applying the oil is to wash the filter in soapy water after you clean it with a solvent like gasoline etc. Then dry it thoroughly and apply the oil. How do you guys do it?

Teddy

Kip Kern

Ted,  Try the "No Toil" route.  No gas or other dangerous fluids to mess with.  Contact Al Buehner.

imported_n/a

Ted,

My wife refused to let me wash filters in the sink or in the washing machine due to the gasoline.  With the No Toil, I can use the sink in the kitchen and I don't smell it up.  You should really consider the No Toil route if you're going to buy a new filter.

Glenn

Mike Lenz

I use gas then hot soapy water right away. It smells up the house and all complain. I love it!

pketchum

I wash mine in gasoline and let them air dry, then oil them with a spray oil preferably, wringing out the excess, and then applying a film of white silicone grease to the filter's edges.

Phast Phil
Moderator, Hodaka Owners Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hodaka
Phast Phil
Moderator, Hodaka Owners Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hodaka

Jeff D

Ditch the petroleum based stuff and go the NO-TOIL route.  I've been using it for a couple of years now on my non-vintage KTM with excellent results, and the easy cleaning and clean-up gives it a hands-down 1st place finish in my books.

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell