Clutch problem

Started by [email protected], July 13, 2003, 03:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

[email protected]

I just finished my 400 project bike, started it up, put it in gear, and promptly killed the motor.The poblem appears to be in the adjustment of the clutch plates. What is the proper adjustment for the nuts holding down the clutch plates? Please help, Mid-Ohio is less than a week away!

Rocket

Did you have the clutch apart when you did your project?  If not, start the bike, get it rolling and put it in gear.  Pull the clutch in and hit the rear brake, sometimes that will break the sticking plates free.  If you need to adjust your clutch, follow the directions below.
Take the clutch cover off and turn all of the nuts so one thread sticks through the nut.  Pull the clutch in and use a piece of duct tape to hold the clutch lever to the handlebar.  I mount a dial indicator braacket on the frame tube and the indicator on the pressure plate of the clutch.  Rotate the motor and watch the indicator, you want the runout to be as close to zero as you can get, adjust the nuts accordingly to get zero.  If the clutch slips after doing this, turn the nuts in a half turn and realign to zero.  This will help the clutch from dragging when you are setting at the line in gear with the clutch in.
Rocket