Transmission Problems

Started by Jdbglover, July 16, 2003, 05:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jdbglover

I have 1976 175cc engine that I had crankbearings and seals installed and transmission shaft bearings installed in the case and needle bearings on the tranmission shafts.  I have not installed the clutch hub or the counter shaft sprocket on the engine, yet.  The engine will now not shift up or down correctly unless you are spinning counter/drive shaft, shifts from first to second okay, then random false neutrals. Is this Normal, do you need the pull from the installed clutch hub and counter sprocket for the engine to shift correctly? Is there an adjustment trick for the shifting forks?  Any help would be appreciated.

Further note, this engine was a parts engine, so I do not know if it previously shifted correctly.  The engine case numbers match, and a new shifter shaft quadrant was used.  

Thanks

John

Rocket

John
My experience with the KTM motor is they are pretty straight forward as far as assembly goes and more than likely it will shift okay when everything is together.  I would imagine whoever put it together looked over the shift forks and shift drum making sure they were not bent or galled in any way.
Rocket

john durrill

John,
 you might want to pull the tranny down and check each shim and spacer. make sure they are in the right place and the right thickness. no telling who was in it before you got it.
 look over the shifter forks and make sure they are in the right place ( there are 3 different forks) that they have not been mixed up.
 when you re-assemble make sure every thing has a good coat of oil on it. all the shafts, spacers and bearings both needle and ball.
  you should have to turn the tranny by hand  to be able to engage each gear , some times rocking it back and forth.  
 If the spacers and shimms are not in the right place or the shift forks mixed up you could break a gear the first time you ride it.
 If the parts are in the right place thats one of the easiest trannys to build their is and one of the strongest.
 You may have all ready checked the things listed above. i jotted it down just in case.
 Did this help any?
 John D.

Edited by - john durrill on 07/17/2003  12:38:22 AM

Jdbglover

Thanks for the replies and relieving my worries about the tranmission shifting.

Thank You

John