what size replacement wheels for 125 Six Day?

Started by namgar, July 24, 2003, 02:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

namgar

I need to replace the original steel wheels on my 1973 CMO frame Penton 125 Six Day, they are completely rusted.  What size Excel rims should I buy?  I'm going to be motocrosssing it in the AHRMA 125 Classic series.  My parts manual only gives the rim diameter, not width.  Are people putting wider wheels on?  Any advantage to shouldered or shoulderless?

William R Gahrmann
William R Gahrmann

SoCal996

Most people know more about this than I do, but here's my two cents. The shouldered rims look cool and are period correct (not necessarily orginal), but they do collect mud. I'm not sure if Excel makes a shouldered, I doubt it.

Be careful on the spoke pattern, I considered putting Excels on my 125, and the person (pretty knowledgeable guy) who was going to build them was talking about getting the rim and drilling holes.

Good Luck

Kip Kern

Use a WM1x21"(1.6+")on the front and a WM2x18"(1.8+")for the rear.  At Mid Ohio last weekend, Cannondale was selling a lot of their inventory which included a ton of new DID rims at $30 bucks each.  I crossed the spoke nipple pattern over and it matched.  What a deal. I am sure you already know that both rims are 36 spoke, have the same size hubs front and rear, and lace the same pattern.

OUCWBOY

Excel makes both front and rear rims that fit perfect without any drilling. I just sold one on E bay about a week ago. It came from Buccannons (the spoke folks). I just told them what bike it was for and they sent it. Works perfect. They have a great data base.
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Gavin Housh

Don't forget about spoke cross two or cross three patterns. Cross three is stronger and lessens the chance of breaking a hub flange. I've seen many hubs with flanges broken on the six days. Rims that are drilled for two cross cannot be use for three cross lacing patterns, and vice versa. Buchanan's will drill any spoke pattern you need, and sell you the proper length spokes. They sell Excel as well as Sun rims. The sun rims are better quality and are basically the same as the old High Point rims. You can find them on the internet //www.buchananspokes.com good luck. Gavin

john durrill

William.
 Speed and  sport can supply rims that work with spoke kits if you need them.
 we got an Excel rear from them last year and the drill pattern was correct for a Penton
John & Peter