Van -v- truck

Started by tmc3c, July 20, 2003, 05:58:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmc3c

What do ya'll think is the best route,Buy a Truck or buy a van? I drive about 19 miles one way to work and then I want a secure way to carry the PENTON to wherever, like to Ohio when I get it done. I need to also have a way to carry 4 adult's. My GMC s15 king cab is to small, the kids have grown up and the king cab is not big enough anymore.So what do ya'll think?

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

firstturn

If the key word is secure you want a van.  I have had just about every combination and the only thing I would compare to a van  for security and ease of driving was having a HiPoint 14 foot trailer, but then you are towing a trailer.  Free advice is sometimes only worth what you pay for it.  Ron Carbaugh

Ron Carbaugh

tmc3c

Thank's Ron, A trailer is good also when you can pull up on the yard and unhitch and go into the house to lick your wound's!But sometime's a hassel to park.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

OUCWBOY

Having done miles and miles of traveling over the years it really is just a matter of preference. I used to carry my bikes in a van and it was really secure. I once carried them in a P/U and was always worried about leaving them parked at a motel or for that matter, while getting something to eat. I now have a F250 Ford Crew cab. I can carry 6 adults and 3 bikes in the bed of the truck. I also have a 16' enclosed trailer where I can carry 8 bikes, tools, and spare parts. This method is very secure too! You just have to decide what's best for you. As for me, I love what I have now!
Donny
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

tmc3c

Hey Donny, I wouldn't need to carry more than 3 bike's and with me wanting to travel to mid - Ohio hopefully by next year, the van idea sound's like it might be a winner.Back in the 70's guy's used to pull into the pit's with van's and they would have the front sectioned off and then the bike and tools in the back but what do you do with fuel for the bikes? Is there some way to vent it outside or is one of the roof vents the best way to go? I would hate to go inside to get something to eat and to come back to a van that smell's like race fuel.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

James

Wow-I am looking to get a cool 70's van in a few months myself. Cargo in the rear passengers in the front. Fuel? me too don't know yet. The one time I counted on the race fuel truck at the track is the one time he did'nt show. I thought about an onboard (mounted to the frame out side the interior) 10 gal or so tank to hold fuel. I am curious to any other thoughts. James

I have bike parts in the kitchen cabinets where most people have dishes..
7\\" and 4\\" travel? Hmm-that makes 11\\" Hey! I can live with that.

firstturn

If you are going to have three bikes(plus gear and fuel) you best bet is a trailer.  The best van I have used for racing was a Dodge extended wheel base and body.  WE could get two bikes and a mini in it.  It was sectioned off from the front area - expensive modification.

Ron Carbaugh

OUCWBOY

I once traveled all over Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Arkansas, New Mexico and even a trip to California in a 1973 Ford Club Wagon (VAN). It would carry the two Pentons and the Monark. Had two racks on the rear van doors that would hold a 5 gal military type fuel can. Kept the fuel smell out of the van. I could carry three bikes and still sit 5 people. Two bikes in frontwards and one facing the rear. I had to install a wheel stop for the one facing the rear. Man, those were the good old days, drive all night to race all day. What'd I give to be that young again.
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

tmc3c

Me too Donny !! Sound's like you had the world by the tail ! If I can only get 2 bikes in that will be ok, [FIRSTTURN] what made the sectioning off so costly?

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

desmond197

I  was having the same delema Van vs Truck and asked a bunch of folks at Mid Ohio and talked to one guy who said that  a buddy was killed several years ago in an accident with a van and the cargo got free and killed both guys in the van. I will be traveling with my wife and toddler so I am going to get a big enclosed race trailer and a new VW SUV  to pull the trailer. I think it will be easier to make a nice race trailer and secure bikes tools and parts in the trailer and it is ready to go any time. I have a nice MX track about 30 miles from the house and go to 3 to 4 events such as Mid Ohio. For the long distance events it is a straigth shop onto the Insterstate so I do not have any city or around town driving to deal with.