Paint advice, please

Started by Keithuu, February 15, 2004, 10:31:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keithuu

Having just picked up a '75 250 Hare Scrambler, I find I'll need to repaint (replace?) the side panels, especially the right side. Does anyone have an idea which commercially available spray color matches the lovely shade of red originally applied? Also, I need to redo the yellow number backgrounds. I thought that generic yellow backgrounds from the local MX dealer might work, but the strange shape of the right panel may preclude that.

Further, I need to repaint the pipe. Does anyone have a paint preference, other than the usual "VH-1" stuff? I'd like to recreate the satin black finish if possible, as opposed to BBQ flat black.

I'm not trying to create a museum piece, just make it a presentable rider.[8D]

Keithuu
Keithuu

Speedy

Quotequote:Originally posted by Keithuu

Having just picked up a '75 250 Hare Scrambler, I find I'll need to repaint (replace?) the side panels, especially the right side. Does anyone have an idea which commercially available spray color matches the lovely shade of red originally applied? Also, I need to redo the yellow number backgrounds. I thought that generic yellow backgrounds from the local MX dealer might work, but the strange shape of the right panel may preclude that.

Further, I need to repaint the pipe. Does anyone have a paint preference, other than the usual "VH-1" stuff? I'd like to recreate the satin black finish if possible, as opposed to BBQ flat black.

I'm not trying to create a museum piece, just make it a presentable rider.[8D]

Keithuu

Soon we start reproduction on PENTON side panels.I received the first two LS panels from Doug to make moulds from.The material used was shown at the POG meeting in Columbus.The colour is Gelcoated into the material.For different PENTON models I need RIGHT and LEFT side panels as NEW as possible with original colours on it so we can match.
Doug the two you gave me are from what models?MODEL and YEAR please.
Cheers,Speedy---->>>>>>>;)

Helmut Clasen KTM
162 Hillcrest Ave
L9H 4Y3
Dundas Ontario Canada
Ph.905-627-5349
[email protected]
http://speedy_c.tripod.com
Sachs GP-GS 250-7A reeds
Zuendapp 125 GS ISDT repl.73
KTM 450 EXC Auto.03
Duke spec.Edit,1996
Adventurer 02

Doug Wilford

Speedy;
One was for the 72- 74 or all CMF models before the laydown shocks the other with the looped out half of the number plate will work on all other models until the air box was changed and I have no idea when that was.   Some of the others can fill you in on what years that was.   Do you still need the sample for the Green 125 cover?   I also don't have the Orange

tmc3c

Hey Doug,Speedy & Keith, I have been in the hunt for a while on the original color's for my 76 250gs and a Fellow Pogger sent me a original side cover,and with this I took it to a paint shop and they matched the orange and the yellow for the number plate.  i/s017= orange,i/s914=yellow these were the codes that Mitch at Finishmaster[864]277-3001 came up with,and theses are the colors that my bike is being painted.My pipe& frame has been powder coated and look "factory" now.I can't wait to get this baby into the woods, I belive heads will turn when I pull up to the trail head!Guy's I hope this helps.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Dennis Jones

Keithuu,

I have had great luck with satin black patio furniture paint. Has that nice satin look and will not burn off. I have pipes with 3+ years on the paint and still looks fresh.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

kelleymutt

Dennis, could you please tell me what brand of paint you used. Thanks Joe  [8D]

Dennis Jones

Rust-Oleum and Krylon both work better than any of the high heat products and look more origonal.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Mick Milakovic

Keithuu,
If you need your panels ASAP, Tom Brosius has these already made up in gelcoat.  You can find his number on the suppliers page of this site.

Mick

DKWRACER

Hey tmc3c, could you find out from your paint supplier more info on i/s017 et al..what manufacturer, epoxy vs urethane vs enamel vs laquer...Many Thanks.....
Thomas Brosius

tmc3c

Hey Tom , I will have to check on that and get back to you next week due to these 12 hr shifts I am on. I will send you a E-mail next week!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

tmc3c

Hey Tom, The paint is made by Dupont and is a urethan base coat and the numbers are ys017 =orange and ys914=yellow ! Not like I originally said i/s017 ,I did not read his notes correctly. Hope this helps!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

OhioTed

Keith,  Check out the Eastwood Company, //www.eastwoodcompany.com. They are a specialty restoration material supplier.  I have used their products for some time for automotive and 'cycle applications with excellent results.  They feature a "Satin Black" high temp coating which, while it may not match the original finish precisely, is a quality, practical and functional product to re-do your pipe with.  Stock # is 10363Z.  Be sure to get a catalog from them.  TED

Keithuu

Thanks for the (usual) help, folks.
[8D]
Keith

Keithuu
Keithuu